Help with Dodgy Tradie/contractor - Sydney

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by ASXGJ1, 15th Dec, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

@standtall @wylie

I called council finally and explain the story and the response will shock everyone.

The council take a bond from the skip bin companies and as long as skip bin company has valid bond with the council the bin company can leave the bin on nature's strip as long as they want... !! Council won't do anything.... !

I told council that people can't walk through and are you willing to keep the bin as it is then the response is that yes as long as they paid the bond to council.

Now, WHAT ??

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The bins are quite costly. If you painted it another firm may appreciate the gift.

ASXGJ1 likes this.
  3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Make it a feature.

skip bin art.jpg

ASXGJ1 likes this.
  4. propernewb

propernewb Well-Known Member

Put a 'Free' sign on the bin

5. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

I also just got off the phone from fair-trading.

Fair trading, asked me to lodge a complain online with all the information that I have with me. A case officer will be assigned to me and they will walk me through it... !!!

Now, I asked fair-trading why can't council or some government body simply ask skip company to remove the skip in front of my house? It is then up-to skip bin company to send me invoice and then I can legally fight it as I have not ordered the product then why should I pay but most likely skip bin company will recover it from contractor.

don't skip bin company open an account before sending bin to anyone's property?

looks like I will have bin in the front for long time.. as there is no point talking to bureaucrat (I myself is one of them).

does anyone here knows how long skip bin company allows bin to be taken away by contractor? sure there must be certain days the contractor needs the bin to be collected?

Stoffo likes this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Go to skip co and take image of a truck plate and its plates
    Call Police and ask they issue a infrigement notice for the nature strip offence. For same rego.
    Repeat daily.

7. ThaRealJaySnell

ThaRealJaySnell Well-Known Member

I am abit confused on why you are blaming the skip bin company? Like every other job in the world if your not getting paid you dont do it. They dont care on what happened and they shouldn't need to, its your mistake not theirs. They shouldnt be held accountable based on something you did to get things done cheaper. You made the mistake of not creating a legally binding contract with the builder. So why is its the skip bins fault ? You cant take on the risks and then cry wolf when one of those risks come to fruition.

Pay the bill and move on, its your mistake and im sure you will learn from it. Its not up to any other entity, government or not to cover for your stuff up. You should know this if you are as you said a bureaucrat

8. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

I pay the bill if i Ordered it. This is where you are mixing.

Contractor engaged skip bin company to provide the bin. The Skip Bin company need to deal with his client or customer not the third party.

The Skip Bin Company can take the contractor to the court or send the debt collector whichever is their method to recover the payment and has nothing to do with me.

I am the one suffering because of issue between the contractor and skip bin company. So All I wanted them to take the Bin from my property and deal with their issue how they want to deal with the contractor.

9. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

Again, it is skip bin company who doesn't have legal contract with builder so it is their fault that they released their bin to someone's property with agreeing on how and when the payment will be made by the contractor. Bin company don't deal with me, so it is their fault and they need to correct it.

i believe bin company provides bin with the account holders without upfront payment else for all retail client pays upfront through their website... ! so again bin company fault they didn't get money upfront from contractor not mine.

10. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

nature strip belongs to council not me, and hence i asked council to do the needful. it is that part of the area which all pedestrian living around me use not just me and hence again council should interven to make the area clear.

council is not responsible and i don't expect them to sort out payment as it is up to skip bin company who trusted contractor and allocated the bin.

11. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

And the last one. You buy SONY TV from Harvey Norman in your suburb for cash payment. You pay for the TV and take the delivery.

If the Harvey norman don't pay SONY TV for the goods that they sold to me then SONY TV can't expect me to pay them because their contract is with Harvey Norman not with me. I own the TV and SONY TV can't take it back neither has any right on the product so they can't remotely stop the TV because Harvey Norman has not paid them.

Remember it is sole responsibility of SONY TV to either trust Harvey Norman or agree on term of payment whether it is after the product sold to customer or after Harvey receive delivery is entirely a matter for which SONY TV responsible not the end buyer.

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The skip bin company won't want their bin sitting idle but if nobody pays for it, you are going to have to get used it being part of your life for a while. Hopefully you've been given correct information, and you won't be fined.

Stoffo likes this.
  13. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

It may be an eyesore, but isn't really your issue (being on council land) so just say "I don't know" !
    Surely you have paperwork or text messages covering the details of the works ?
    I haven't ordered many skip bins so I don't have an account, so have always had to pay/supply a credit card prior to the bin being delivered .....

Joynz likes this.
  14. Harveys

Harveys Well-Known Member

LOL.

Did the contractor issue a tax invoice for the work?

No?

I don’t know your definition of tax avoidance but cheaper cash job, no recite is just that in every normal person’s universe.

Got record of builder’s licence? A contract?

No?

Then pay to remove the skip and learn the lesson.

15. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

Honestly, this is what surprised me that after talking skip bin company the guy was ok for the bin to be sitting here. Now the bin that i have is freshly painted and in good condition so why on earth he let is sit their.

I believe bin company might get money the more the bin stays but i already told the guy that this contractor run away.. but still he is not even following up on the contractor... either they both playing up with me or the bin company is probably more naïve then me to keep trust on this guy.

16. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

I agree bin company must have taken credit details before releasing bins... ! i am on the conclusion that they both playing with each other and i am the one suffering.

WattleIdo likes this.
  17. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

yes, got builder lic no. and will file with fair-trade but it looks like fair trade is weak and that is why this type of tradies still working around openly as they punishment they get is negligible.

the classing example is number failed high rises in Sydney and the reason they fail is outside our discussion but sure the developers probably using dodgy builders and that is why they are failing.

i have evidence of payments and receipt from builder in the form of text messages and video... !

Stoffo likes this.
  18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Have you anything from the bin company that they will not chase you for payment if the builder never actually pays?

19. ASXGJ1

ASXGJ1 Well-Known Member

i will be calling them again after Monday lunch... i can sleep in my house for next decade with bin outside but just wondering how on earth business work like this?

bin company can't charge me as i have not booked them and worst come he might threaten to dump everything back on my property and take the bin which legally he can't do either because then it will be police case.

lawyer i talked is clear. bin company can only dispute their invoice with builder and if builder runs away then bin company to take the loss (yes very clear)... and improve on their business practice to avoid similar thing in future.

the council is the pathetic to keep silent on this issues and not helping as it is simplest and best thing was for council to order the bin company to remove the bin as i as a tax payer asking for it and if bin company talk about the payment then that is the matter for bin company to resolve with whoever booked the bin at later stage either through court or debt collector or any other legal avenue they have.

20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Why do you say it ‘would be a police case’ if the builder put the rubbish back on your property?

What law would be broken?