Help with deductible items please

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Sydney2016, 18th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sydney2016

Sydney2016 New Member

Morning all

My husband and I are moving back into our IP in February for 6-12 months and would like to repaint the inside walls/ceilings as they are looking a bit shabby. Do you know if we are able to claim the cost of this back please? I’ve had a look at various websites and the ATO website but can’t see any mention of painting.

Regarding CGT – we have had our property since 2011 and lived in it for 1.5 years and have since rented it out. If we move back in for 6-12 months and then decide to sell it, would we have to pay CGT please?

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

Thanks so much
    Sydney2016

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

No and
    It depends - not if you use the main residence exemption.

3. Sydney2016

Sydney2016 New Member

Hi Terry, thanks so much for your reply. It will be our PPOR. Is this exemption for the 6 year rule? If so, when does the rule kick in - is it from when I bought the property or from when I last rented it out please? I have moved in and out of it a couple of times.

4. Terry_w

If it was your main residence before renting out it could be exempted if you treat it was the main residence using the 6 year rule. 6 years frm the date it becomes available for rent.

5. Sydney2016

Sydney2016 New Member

Great, thanks Terry. Sorry to be a pain, but can I ask about why we can't claim to repaint the inside of the house as I thought you could claim for repairs/maintenance after the tenant moves out as long as the repairs were in the same tax year?

6. Terry_w

If the painting could be classed as a repair you might be able to claim it if the damage related to the period it was occupied by a tenant.

Best to check with your tax agent.