Help with an electrical circuit

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Mark Reed, 22nd Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mark Reed

Mark Reed Member

I need some help with a lighting circuit. I decided to upgrade the bedroom light. The existing bonnet which was removed had 4 terminals. 2 x neural, 1 x live and 1x earth attached.

The new life fitting has the standard 3. Neutral, live and earth.

I tried connecting the 2 neutrals together but this blew the trip switch.

I found out connecting one didn't but it isolated the switch so you can't turn the light on and off.

I don't understand the circuitry. Does anyone have any ideas.

Appreciate your help. 15428753605255131743070642468500.jpg

2. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

Yes, call an electrician or call an undertaker.

Angel and balwoges like this.
  3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Seriously - don't do this. It is illegal and extremely dangerous - not just to you, but to other people who may enter the house or do work on it in the future if you get it wrong.

Electrical | Fair Trading NSW

An electrical licence is required before any electrical wiring work can be undertaken in NSW, regardless of the cost of the work and regardless of whether the work is residential, commercial or industrial.

Electrical work
    Electrical wiring work is defined in the Home Building Act 1989, for licensing purposes, as having the same meaning as it has in the Electricity (Consumer Safety) Act 2004.

Refer to Australian/New Zealand Wiring Rules entitled AS/NZS 3000:2007, Electrical Installations (known as the Australian/New Zealand Wiring Rules), as in force from time to time, published jointly by Standards Australia and Standards New Zealand.

Electrical wiring work means the actual physical work of installing, repairing, altering, removing or adding to an electrical installation or the supervising of that work.

Electrical installation means any fixed appliances, wires, fittings, apparatus or other electrical equipment used for (or for purposes incidental to) the conveyance, control and use of electricity in a particular place

Remember, it is an offence to undertake electrical wiring work without a licence or certificate. You can be fined $22,000 as an individual or $110,000 as a company for doing unlicensed electrical work.

If you wire it incorrectly and then some time later an electrician comes to fix something else and gets electrocuted because of your dodgy wiring - I'm pretty sure that would be grounds for some pretty serious criminal charges heading your way. Involuntary manslaughter comes to mind (criminal negligence).

I've read of cases where some dodgy home wiring lead to pipes being electrified and then a plumber getting hurt.

DO NOT DO YOUR OWN ELECTRICAL WORK.

4. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Oh my word!

As others have suggested do not under any circumstances fool around with electrical circuits unless you are qualified to do so.

When the sparks fly you will not see them coming and it's possible you will never see them ever again as you'll be dead.

5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

There's the answer - call a sparky.

(I was wondering why you had a Lounge, Ensuite and two eNtries in your house).