Help! What would you do?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Kip, 7th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Kip

Kip Active Member

Okay so we have a small townhouse which was rented out in Mt Waverly. The tennantTennant decided not to renew their lease as the upstairs bathroom shower tiles are falling apart as the water proofing has cause damage to tiles.

My options are to have quick fix (agent quoting $6800k) and get tenants in quickly

Spend time getting few quotes and then going for a cheaper option (could take few weeks as I'm heavily pregnant) but I'll miss out on rent?

Or to completely renovate the whole bathroom with a view of renting it out. My concern here is renters will just ruin the place again and I'll need to re-renovate when i sell?

Any advice would be so appreciated. First time on this forum!!

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Failed waterproofing is usually not the fault of tenants.

Rugrat and Pumpkin like this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Quick fix at $6800 sounds like daylight robbery and how can failed waterproofing be worked around?

I would spend a bit more and start again.

Rugrat, Propertunity and Shazi like this.
  4. Kip

Kip Active Member

Sorry what do you mean by start again?

5. Kip

Kip Active Member

Yeh i know...the question is which option would you do...I feel like $6,800 to fix water proofing around shower and replace tiles is expy. Should I just do the whole bathroom?

6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

How much would it be to redo the whole bathroom?

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I feel it's expensive too and for that price you could do a renovation but it would take longer.

If it's just the shower floor and not the walls could it be an option to get an acrylic shower base installed?

Shazi likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If redoing the bathroom will cost less than the loss of rent and high temporary repair, a proper job wins hands down.

Shazi likes this.
  9. wylie

I mean if you will be paying $6,800 to fix water proofing around shower and replace tiles you might as well gut the bathroom and put in a brand new one.

10. Kip

Kip Active Member

Hi but what about the loss of rent??? Also won't tenants just ruin the property if I renovate it...it's better to wait until I want to sell the property??

11. Kip

Kip Active Member

Cost of rennovating full bathroom I've gotten quotes for $12-$15k. Which seems really high and if I want to keep searching for quotes it may take more time.

12. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

This money sounds about right. If the reno is well planned then it should not take longer than 2 weeks max. Or you can spend 1/2 that amount and do a half-assed job and do it all again sometime down the track.
    Why would tenants ruin the property?? ....and if they do, isn't that why you take a bond and pay LL insurance?
    If you cannot afford 2-4 weeks vacancy and a little over $10K in repairs ie gutting the bathroom and starting afresh, then maybe you should not be investing in RE or at least increase your cash buffer for times like this.

wylie likes this.
  13. wylie

You say "upstairs bathroom" which sounds like there is a downstairs bathroom as well?

14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

It's a catch 22 situation.
    $7k on a fix it job which leaves the bathroom in a tenantable state but no real improvement is a lot of money to spend when you'd still then need to spend $12k in the future
    $12k is only $5k more but you'd get a new bathroom which will last another 10-20 years but take time and loss of rent so probably all up $15k
    If you don't want to do a full fix or reno now then a prefab shower cubicle might solve the problem
    $1000 plus installation - there are various sizes and shapes and there should be one to fit your situation I would imagine
    Base MKII Shower System with Rear Outlet 900mm x 900mm White & Chrome from Reece

wylie likes this.
  15. Kip

Kip Active Member

Yes

16. Kip

Kip Active Member

Yeh exactly thanks so much for this...I will have a look now

17. wylie

So if you have two bathrooms, and you don't have the funds to keep the place empty whilst a new bathroom goes in, you can offer reduced rental until the second bathroom is up and running.

In our early investing days we certainly couldn't leave a house empty for two weeks longer than necessary as we relied on the rent paying the mortgage. So I get that.

But right now we are doing work that is stopping our tenants from using the driveway and we've offered $200 off their rent (it ran into two weeks) to keep them onside. You could offer a discount while the work is being done.

thatbum likes this.
  18. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Who says the waterproofing is damaging the tiles? I can’t see how this can happen.

I suggest you get another opinion.

From a qualified person.

Years ago we were told by our PM that tiles were coming off the shower in an IP. Sent us a quote for $4800 to completely retile the shower. When challenged, PM said some tiles were falling off. We asked her to get a quote to stick back the tiles. $125. No more problems and we sold around 5 years later.
    Marg

Propertunity, KateSydney and wylie like this.
  19. Kip

Kip Active Member

Oh that's really smart!!! Thanks so much for all the advice srsly everyone has been so much help!

20. Kip

Kip Active Member

We got three quotes and all have said similar things.