Help please

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Nervous, 4th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nervous

Nervous Well-Known Member

Hello brains trust,

I need some help in regards to something we just found on our property. We purchased the property a few months. After one rainy night we have noticed that storm-water is bubbling on the boundary. Hubby investigated, turns out that neighbors storm-water has an old clay pipe that runs along our side of the fence. The pipe is so old and not working so keeps bubbling out.

• We don't think there was any easements. Well there is nothing on the title.
    • What are our rights? Do we just plug it where it enters our lot?
    • Who do we engage.
    Any pointers would be very helpful. The neighbour house is in a very sad condition, so I doubt they will be happy to pay to fix it. Besides the fact it is on our lot.

2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I'd:
    1. inform the neighbour.
    2. get access to the pipe where it crosses the boundary into your block
    3. buy a can of builders foam and spray it in there
    Then you can just not worry about it.

That's all assuming that there isn't a slope from the neighbour to your house, otherwise, it would make the situation worse. Plus there might be a reason why this was done in this way, but I'm just going off what you've said.

It might be worthwhile posting a photo and perhaps tell us about the topography.

The Y-man likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Why not call BCC and ask someone there. We had a neighbour call BCC who came out to inspect our stormwater issue in an IP. Turns out that whilst pipes went into the ground, those pipes were full of dirt so the water wasn't getting away as it should have.

We had approval from BCC to install a rubble pit. But we had to deal with our stormwater, so perhaps BCC will force the neighbours to fix theirs too.

4. spludgey

If it's an asbestos pipe, then my first course of action would be trying to convince the neighbour to have it dug up and have a new one put in. It means you still have their pipe on your lot, which is a bit annoying, but not as annoying as having to deal with an asbestos pipe.

But otherwise, going from your picture, I'd block it up, as long as there isn't a slope from your neighbour's place to yours, as that could actually make your problems worse.

5. Nervous

Nervous Well-Known Member

Thanks. I thought so. We will monitor it during next rain, just to double check if the water actually comes from neighbours place. I don't believe the slope matters (there is little to non), the pipe is so old it is broken and it leads to nowhere.

6. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I'd get a plumber to check it out. I can't understand how your neighbour's storm water pipe is on your property. What if you want to build something over the pipe? lol I'd be rerouting the pipe to the neighbours bedroom window lol Just joking.

willair likes this.
  7. spludgey

Now there's an idea, hook your storm water up to it and pump it through the pipe in the opposite direction, that'll ensure swift action from the neighbour!

datto likes this.
  8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

A very simple way for your own property footprint is just employ a lic plumber to come out and pressure test your system that way you don't get a nasty surprise next urban utilities bill..A photo would help ..imho..

datto likes this.
  9. sqe

sqe Well-Known Member

It is illegal for pipes from another property to cross into adjoining properties. Easements and public works are an exception. Sounds dodgy. Are you sure your fence line is correct?