Help our Aussie farmers

Discussion in 'Philanthropy' started by Illusivedreams, 23rd Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

what about importing fresh food ? nz dont count.
    more than one way of protecting an industry..

or i am wrong again.. cause previously (10 year ago) seem impossible to import anything on a large scale.

Last edited: 3rd Aug, 2018
  2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

The hay situation in SA is getting pretty dire. Just about everyone is sold out and theres still 4 months till harvest. This years harvest is looking to be even worse than last year.

Saying that having money saved up to get you through is myopic... you can have heaps of money but if theres no hay available to buy, you cant feed cattle or sheep $20 notes

3. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

:(:(:( It's difficult, I'm glad there was the demand on a Friday. Maybe a re-run tomorrow to catch up (understand those bunnos sizzle locations are prime RE).

4. Chris Au

Places in WA and nth Qld are holding hay back for themselves so its getting worse across the country :(. I'm loving the sound of (light) rain at the moment, settles the dust at least.

5. Chris Au

As a whole this'd be ok to balance food prices, but the importing/trade approvals process would take a while. When Australian conditions righted themselves, we would have a glut of food, lowering prices (great for consumers - increased choices (imported or local) but the Aus farmers would receive lower prices - couldn't unfortunately turn on and off the world trade tap quickly).

6. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

7. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

I'd rather have money and no hay available then have hay available and no money to buy it.

Willy

Last edited: 3rd Aug, 2018
  8. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Yes, but it also means that the stock you have fed are so much more valuable also.

Willy

9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I would say that you are far from a typical farmer, but since you know the price of wool, *maybe* you are one.

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Aug, 2018
  10. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Your a real fountain of knowledge on this aren't you.

Fifth generation farmer actually but you are correct I try not to be typical.

Sorry that my first hand experience doesn't align with what your hearing on the news.

Big Willy

aussieB and TAJ like this.
  11. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

How would you know whether I am or not? I live in NSW too. Never heard this stuff before. Drought must've passed by your property? Maybe you don't have any animals? Or maybe you just don't care?
    Seems weird to live on the land (?) and to empathise more with property investors (many 1st gen: no idea) more than your own.

Big W

12. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

I know your not a fountain of knowledge because all you've done is try to suggest that I'm not a farmer??

Are you suggesting that the points I've made are not correct or accurate?
    You obviously don't understand what I'm talking about or have the knowledge to refute what I'm saying which is why you haven't replied with anything even remotely related to the topic.

Willy

TAJ likes this.
  13. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Sorry Willy, you're right. I completely missed your point. What was it again?

14. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

Once again...…. nothing.

Willy

15. Willy

Willy Well-Known Member

That would be like the banks lending recklessly to investors and then contributing to a fund to bail their clients out when they get into trouble.
    Investors would be even more reckless knowing they had a safety net.
    More and more reckless, bigger and bigger safety net.
    There can be no safety net!
    Handouts and subsidies are not the answer. (that will really spin WattleIdo out)
    The best way a farmer can prepare for drought is to go through one. After every drought, the smart farmer puts in more dams, more troughs, more bores, conserves more fodder, is more conservative in his stocking rate.
    With safety nets and subsidies comes complacency and the problem just gets bigger and bigger because people don't have to learn from their mistakes and experiences.

The reason Australian farmers are some of the most innovative in the world is because they are not subsidised. They have no choice but to be innovative.

Willy

16. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Just because you happen to reside in a rural area doesn't qualify you as a farmer. Many, many people happen to live in rural communities but simply are not farmers!
    Not every farmer is struggling.
    Tell me who is going to bail me out when I make a poor investment decision?
    Nobody puts a gun to their head and says you must be a farmer! It's a choice!
    Let our elected reps provide for those seriously in need rather than wasting tax payer monies on frivolous foreign aid. This happens to be a "Home" crisis.

17. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Further to this our wonderful government will give generously to a single mother who has 5 children to 3 different fathers! No wonder we are screwed, and farmers can't receive the support they now require.
    Priorities people, simples!

18. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Again, I seem to have missed some important point here. Afraid you've got the wrong end of the stick. I never said anything about govts nor about being a farmer.
    I think you don't understand that Big Willy is part of my huge fan-base.
    You don't have to be a farmer to know what drought is and how it affects many farmers (not you apparently). My impression is that your experience is all that matters to you - which could possibly be true for most. However, your profile says you have a carpet & upholstery and mould remediation business so I can see how you would be less affected by the drought than others - especially on that cool boat.
    Don't worry, I'm no bleeding heart for farmers. Save it.

Last edited: 5th Aug, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.