Help needed with floorplan reno

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by SteveJB84, 5th Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SteveJB84

SteveJB84 New Member

Hi all, wondering if I could get some design help on a new floor layout. The bathroom/wc and laundry setup needs an update (would love to be able to fit a bath/shower combo) plus the kitchen. Have added some pics for reference and feel.

House size is approx 130m2. Happy to keep as a 3br. I would also like to try to bring a bit more natural light between the kitchen and lounge (the dog leg wall is tricky to work with) the lounge is a bit of an awkward shape as you would see with the windows and the nook created in the lounge.

load bearing walls are on each side of the hall Walls and also the wall dividing the kitchen and lounge (have plenty of helping hands to reprop roofs if they require it, so go nuts With design)

budget is approx $45k aud for bath/kitchen and structural reno. unfortunately Ive played with a lot of configurations and don’t seem to be happy with any! Any help would be greatly appreciated ☺️ Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

2. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Where is North?

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

For extra light, solar skylights can work wonders.

We have a couple in a hallway. Small solar panel on roof, wired to an LED diffuser panel on the ceiling, cost around $1K. Unlike old style direct skylights, the panel does not have to be directly above the diffuser, it can be anywhere. Consequently the skylight can even be installed on the bottom level of a two storey dwelling.

wylie and SteveJB84 like this.
  4. SteveJB84

SteveJB84 New Member

hi joynz,

A 45dg angle to the right and moving away from the building is nominated north point.

the external wall in dining area joining to the exterior pergola is pretty much the same angle and orientation for the north point so the backyard gets the most amount of light at this stage

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

My initial thought is that I'd remove all walls and have kitchen, lounge, dining all one large area with appropriate structural support - hanging beam in the roof, or may have to have a small section of wall remain to rest new beam on?

The bathroom and laundry are big enough to reconfigure to make a larger bathroom and still have plenty of room for a smaller laundry.

New kitchen, bathroom, laundry and structural support to remove the walls would likely eat up that budget.

SteveJB84 and Angel like this.
  6. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

My thoughts would be to remove the walls between the dining-entry/living and the kitchen-dining but keep the wall between the kitchen and living. Convert the kitchen to a galley design which removes all those unusable corner cabinets and extend the kitchen/living wall a little to provide the required kitchen space. A couple of photos of a kitchen I did very similar to yours converted to a galley style. The half wall extension (approx 500mm) to allow more bench top is visible. This was a $8k Ikea kitchen including all mid to upper range appliances apart from the fridge.

Kitchen 1.jpg Kitchen 2.jpg

Without some dimensions it is hard to talk much about the bathroom/laundry but I expect what you plan could be achieved.