Help Needed: Termites on Bearers/Joists

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by balotelli14, 2nd Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. balotelli14

balotelli14 Active Member

Hi there,

About to go unconditional on a property in QLD and the B&P report noted some non-active termite damages. The current owner stated that the termite attack happened 10 years ago.

They have agreed to reduce the price by a considerable margin but I'm very keen on getting the bearers/joists replaced. Has anyone done such work before and can provide a guide on cost? I know it varies but looking for a ballpark figure to see if I should proceed with the property.

upload_2021-6-2_21-29-0.png

2. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

We (restumpers) charge $50-$60 ish per meter to replace rotten bearers/joists..

That is in Victoria though.

Joynz, The Y-man and Patrico1966 like this.
  3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

What sort of treatment did they have done ?
    The damage in the pics looks superficial and not worth the headache of replacement (just to have it look pretty).
    Thoughts @Scott No Mates

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If the b&p hasn't recommended replacement of the damaged sections, pocket the cash/accept the discount & do the work only if there is structural damage.

As a precautionary measure get annual termite inspections.

ChrisP73 and Stoffo like this.
  5. balotelli14

Thanks. Do you know what the process is? Do they lift the house somehow or just put some support beams while they remove the old bearers?

6. balotelli14

They did a termite treatment a few years back and the termite has not returned. The damage is not structural with it but I'm just concerned about the cosmetic look of it in the event I want to sell the property in the future.

7. balotelli14

The B&P said it was not structural - so all is fine there. I will likely be selling the property in 2-3 years and I just don't want the cosmetic nature of the bearers to impact the price. I am getting the property for $80k under market value based on RPdata and a recent bank Val.

And yes if I do proceed, I will get annual termite inspections.

Stoffo likes this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It will always be raised by any P&B - the best course of action will be to retain the previous P&B & your own as well as the annual inspections and make these available to prospective purchasers to demonstrate the futility of their attempt to force a price reduction.

If the property suffered structural damage and was not treated, then there would be a reason to get a discount to a prospective purchaser in the future as they would be purchasing a liability. If the termites were still active, then there would also be grounds to negotiate a discount. However if you can demonstrate that it has been treated (by the previous owner), your own P&B has confirmed that the damage is non-structural and you have continued to monitor the situation with annual inspections to show that there has been no change to the situation it will be easier to dismiss/minimise any request by a purchaser for a discount.

Stoffo and wylie like this.
  9. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

Set up a couple of bottle jacks around the bearers (across the joists) take the weight..

Cut out affected timber and slot in new timber.. let the jacks off and nail.

Not hard when you know what you're doing, which any Restumper will..

You'll be surprised how little it'd cost.

The Y-man likes this.
  10. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Your actions moving forward would be based on the type of treatment done "a few years back".
    Termites have the ability to turn a house into a demolition project inside of 6 months (given perfect conditions).

11. balotelli14

Understood. I will be proceeding on the basis that no treatment was done. Already received some quotes of around $3500 for a termite treatment that would last 8-10 year. Mixed with an annual inspection - I should be good.

12. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Have a look in the electrical meter box, often there is a sticker from the pest company and details of attendance (you may find that a barrier treatment was done in the last few years. Could save you $3,500).

balotelli14 likes this.
  13. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Ouch! $3,500 is very high for a full barrier, unless it's a particularly difficult style of home to protect.

Also, has anyone told you that the termite affected joists need to be replaced for structural reasons? If so, definitely go ahead. If not, and it's just a cosmetic concern, maybe just leave it be until you get closer to potentially selling it? (Unless you're worried a buyer will see the recent work and wonder why?)

P.S Very interested in the cost of replacing joists, I've got a rotten joist from a leaking bathroom we need to keep an eye on, not sure what sort of work (i.e. cost) is involved.

craigc and Michael Mitchell like this.