Help Needed! Lot with Manhole or Higher Fenced Backyard??

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Has_819, 6th Apr, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Has_819

Has_819 New Member

Hi,

I am torn between two blocks that have similar house built (new development). This will be my PPOR.

First one that I prefer is on a nice open street and location is great. It sits at a higher level compared to the house behind hence there's a sense of openness at the back (You can only see the roof of property behind) and has a good amount of natural light (east facing).

Issue I seem to have is:

- There is a sewer line running at back with a manhole and two vent shafts in back yard.
    - There is an easement for water as well.

Second lot/house is on the street behind that is at a lower level. The benefit is there's no sewer line running (its through front of block) or manhole and there is no easement.

The issue I see with this one is:

- As its at lower level, there is approx 1m retaining wall with the usual 1.8m fence on back only. Gives a slight feeling of boxed in (4m yard width). There is still privacy though.
    - Sunlight is not as great compared to above.

My queries:
    - Is manhole and easement a greater concern over a block of land? Specially if I have to sell later at some stage.
    - There is a compromise of some sort in both lots (manhole vs closed backyard), which is considered better?
    - With the manhole, do they generally overflow creating all sorts of sewage issues for me? There can still be overflow through the shafts in case of any potential blockage right?

Feedback and comments appreciated.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Your preferred property is higher than the adjoining block. Water doesn't flow uphill so any mess will go downhill.

In a new estate, it's unlikely that you'll be adding a GF etc anytime soon. Unless the easements affect the location of buildings,they can be innocuous.

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We have a sewer running along our property beside our back fence. Never bothered us at all. We have lived here 42 years, and the manhole on our neighbour’s property had a slight overflow on one occasion which was promptly rectified after one phone call.

Unless you think that one day you may want to build right to the back fence, it should never affect you. If a manhole overflows then it will be attended to immediately by the relevant authority. And as your block is higher than the one behind you, any (unlikely) overflow will run downhill.

From what you say, I agree that the sense of space and openness is greatly more appealing that looking out at a nearly 3m high wall/fence.

4. Has_819

Has_819 New Member

Thanks. The line is running with the fence on adjacent blocks but has a joint on my lot which then flows to the lower lot behind. So that definitely could be an upside per your comment. I have attached Sydney Water diagram for reference as well.

Attached Files:

5. Has_819

Has_819 New Member

Thanks Marg. Good to know its rectified immediately. I do not intend to build anything permanent in the backyard. I personally prefer the sense of space hence the due diligence to understand the compromise I'll have to make from a longer term perspective for both options.

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Overflowing sewage is a health issue and will usually be attended to quickly. We just phoned the local council when we noticed it (owners away).

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The only other thing to be aware of is that you may need to be careful about tree planting near the block with the sewer line.
    I'd probably pick the higher block as I love a lot of natural light

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.