Help needed for reno costs for a old house

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Vishh, 7th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Vishh

Vishh Well-Known Member

Hello Everyone,

Need help on this one. I am thinking of buying a brick house and renovating it.

I am estimating the cost for painting, flooring the master bedroom and other bedroom with polished laminates around 8k and kitchen renovation around 15k.
    My homework says calculation as shown below.

Kitchen including range hood and sink plus Install : 7k
    Labour for kitchen including rendering, plumbing, electrical, bulk head: 4.5k
    Stone and install:$2.5k
    Appliances cooktop, oven: 1.5k
    Tiling and painting : 2k

My questions are regarding cost and time.
    1) Can this be done in 1-2 months.
    2) Can the renovation done within my budget. ( around 30k incl bathrooms)?
    3) Can I get loan including renovation amount as well?

Below is the image of bedroom . I am thinking whether the marks can be due to water leak. If it is water leak how big will it be to fix.?
    upload_2019-7-7_14-7-49.png

The kitchen is below.
    upload_2019-7-7_14-8-21.png

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Bedroom corner of ceiling looks like it might have water issues (or had them in the past). The walls look like someone's removed wallpaper? Hard to tell from the photo.

Your budget sounds reasonable except you don't give any break down for bathroom (or bathrooms).

I'd say your breakdown for kitchen sounds reasonable to me. That is about what we spent on our last kitchen a few months ago.

I'd also say your timeframe sounds reasonable. I'm assuming you'd have a builder do it all?

3. Vishh

Vishh Well-Known Member

Thanks. But if the wall marks are due to water issues, will that blow up cost ?

4. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

You need someone that knows what they are looking at to give you advice, just from those pictures theres surprises like under the kitchen floor, have you looked at roof and gutters of the damaged room.

wylie likes this.
  5. wylie

Agree with @mickyyyy. Your estimates sound pretty right to me, but old houses have a habit of throwing all sorts of curve balls.

We've just done two old houses. Nothing is straight. Everything costs twice what it would if building new. All sorts of problems to be found behind walls, under floors and in roof spaces.

You do need a builder to look at it to find out how much you need to spend to fix everything up to a solid base before you can then start spending on adding the "pretty stuff".

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Is this a reno to sell, reno to rent out, or reno to live in?

The Y-man

7. Vishh

Vishh Well-Known Member

Good question. Missed to mention. Its for live in.

8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Looks like a ripper Reno.
    Was going to say the kitechn budget looks as but high but it's a ppor so ensure you get the best $7k kitchen.

If say also budget 4k for painting as it seems you are almost doing the whole house

9. wylie

I assumed you meant $2k to tile and paint just the kitchen?

What do you need to do to the bathroom (on or two?). That's going to cost a bit (depending on scope of work).

Vishh likes this.
  10. Vishh

Vishh Well-Known Member

Bathroom needs a bit of work. Replacing tiles is a must and shower screen and tap replacement. It looks like this currently.Not sure how much will it cost me. 10k on a worst case?

upload_2019-7-7_18-0-1.png

11. Vishh

Vishh Well-Known Member

yup correct.. Painting for entire house. 4k seems reasonable.

12. wylie

You'll need to start from scratch if you remove tiles and get the room waterproofed.

We've just done a small bathroom for just over $10k. That included builder gutting the (small) room, jackhammering old floor tiles up, new sheeting, lowering the ceiling and new sheeting, waterproofing, tiling, plumbing, electrician, vanity, shower glass, toilet and a cupboard pushed into our garage (door flush with the tiles).

A bigger room would have cost more as the tiling was the most expensive individual trade.

I was keen on a "wow" bathroom with fancy tiles on floor and one wall (I've been watching too much The Block and House Rules) but hubby talked me out of. Everything dates a bathroom, and I guess sticking with white minimises the problem of everyone guessing "that bathroom is from 2019".

Attached Files:

KateSydney, Marg4000, Vishh and 2 others like this.
  13. Vishh

Vishh Well-Known Member

Looks awesome. :) Even I may use this design as a reference for my renovation. What type of tiles are used on floor. Are they slip resistant?

14. wylie

Thank you . The floor tiles are from Tradelink and feel like sand has been sprinkled on them. I liked that and chose them for this very reason. If you remind me I’ll look at the invoice tomorrow as these tiles came in three finishes. I chose the most non-slip.

They are not rough to walk on though - just not slippery. Wall tiles also from Tradelink - matt white 600 x 300 rectified... very well priced.

15. Blueshoes99

Blueshoes99 Well-Known Member

R u fixing the kitchen floor/ tiles? Are you keeping the carpets?

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF