Help me with PPOR Reno!

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jmillar, 8th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

What's everyone's thoughts on a black granite sink? Do they get damaged/scratched easily? Anything else I should know about them?
    460x410mm Black Granite Composite Stone Kitchen Sink Top/Under Mount Bowl GS464 - Renolink
    Appliances Online

Also, would you still go a steel tap like this?
    Appliances Online

Or would you go black?
    Appliances Online
    Kasper Pull Out Kitchen Laundry Sink Mixer Tap Swivel Matte Black KSP0057BK - Modern National
    (not in love with either of these)

I don't really like the idea of any polished stainless as I think it would attract and show scratches very easily.

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

It's a ppor, whatever you like really. It's all subjective.

Though I wouldn't mix a steel tap and black sink.

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I have a white and a black composite sink. Both are easy to clean, the black probably shows up less than the white but some bleach and the white comes back sparkling. I have the Blanco one

So black sink with the white marble benchtop? Either sink will have a chrome waste but I think I prefer the look of the Kasper.

4. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

Can look great... well I think so anyway

pennanthills_web015.jpg pennanthills_web002.jpg

Jmillar likes this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

6. Jmillar

This sink is nice! Similar bench top to what I'd go as well. Maybe a slightly different tap

I like the lights too. Not sure if something like those would look good considering I have the bulk head which already reduces the height in the kitchen a bit. Hanging lights might take attention off the bulk head?

7. Westminster

I think with the size of your kitchen you'll need something a bit smaller, maybe something like this from Beacon. This is on a bulkhead and the drop still works so that people aren't bashing their head.

59764192284__79A9D139-9E05-4C14-A950-F6ECC3362E88.jpeg

8. Jmillar

Yeah I was thinking something like that.

I need a slab 1600mm wide and 3200mm long - would Smart stone or Atec Stone be good suppliers?

Also, does anyone know of slabs longer than 3200mm being available? It would allow me to reduce the fridge space, creating more bench space. Otherwise, the fridge space ends up being about 1m or a touch more.

9. Jmillar

Also, I've been looking at some images of modern kitchens and most have stools sitting under the back of the kitchen bench. I'm wondering if I should set it up like this, rather than having more cupboards on the back of the kitchen bench.

The width of the bench top will be 800mm so was planning on having 600mm cupboards on the front and 200mm cupboards on the back (push to open).

On one hand, it's a walk way and the dining table will be right next to the kitchen, so the stools will never be used. But on the other hand, will having cupboards there make it look a bit too 'box-y'?

Thoughts on the shallow cupboards vs scrapping that and getting some stools?

10. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Laminam XL. 1620 x 3240

Westminster likes this.
  11. Westminster

Oh I have a picture for you that might give another option :)

This is a small townhouse I did. I built the dining area into the island bench to reduce the amount of space for the dining area.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is without the furniture and less zoon

[​IMG]

Codie and wylie like this.
  12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I like this idea - and a friend of ours did ten townhouses with this set up. We wondered if he should have added a leg so the "table" could be moved elsewhere for a more formal dining experience, and that also would allow six to sit there (but you'd have to lose the waterfall edge and have legs).

His townhouses had a longer and narrower layout so the table could have been pulled away from the island if desired for six people at dinner, and pushed back there for everyday.

13. wylie

If you think you'll never have anyone use the stools, and the table is right next to it, I'd keep the storage under, but indent the cupboard by say six inches to give a less "boxy" edge and it will feel less like a "hallway". Make the cupboards on that side darker, so they disappear.

We have a table right near our island so we don't have bar stools either.

14. Jmillar

Nice idea Myf! Unfortunately it won't work in my place. I'd like a separate dining table big enough for 8 people.

Perhaps I should consider something like this attached image - ie two open shelves where I could have plants etc and then room for 2-3 stools.

I think that having shallow cupboards down the whole way would make it look a bit boxy and a bit plain as you walk in. I think when the bench top 'hangs' over the edge it looks a lot nicer.

15. Jmillar

I kind of know what you mean. But our bench top will be 800mm wide. And I believe standard cabinets are 600mm which leaves 200mm. If you're saying to indent it by 6 inches (say 150mm) it doesn't leave any room for cupboards on the back side.

I like your idea of making it feel less like a hallway and the concept of the indent.

Have you got a photo of yours?

16. wylie

Our island is very narrow at 56cm deep, but it works well for our set up. Two people can work comfortably in our kitchen, but when we had three boys at home as well, it was not easy to negotiate. We only have around 80cm either side of this island as our kitchen is a hallway (but nobody has to go through the kitchen as there are other ways to get places).

To the right of this photo (unseen) is another large sideboard styled matching kitchen cupboard with a middle glassed section where we keep our bottles and crystal. You can see the edge of our table at the bottom.

Whilst our island is 56cm deep, the storage is all drawers, so perhaps you could have the same, still indent the back of the island and paint it dark. We have mostly drawers and cupboards with shelves only where it was unavailable.

We need to redo this kitchen fairly soon and I'd like to change things, but this works well and it is easier to just not think about how to change it without losing the ability to work at that island and watch the TV at the same time (in the next room - behind that table).

Image 16-1-20 at 10.07 pm.jpg

17. Westminster

I think we'd need some measurements to properly work this out. Your living area doesn't look that big which gave me the idea to combine the dining onto the island but maybe it's bigger than it appears as it's empty.

The island bench as you say will need to be 600mm deep to accomodate the sink and the dishwasher but the other 200mm could be cupboards or open shelving at each end (or just one end) and a gap in the middle but it will depend on how long a space you'd need. I have a formula somewhere for how much space you need for each bar stool. Ok you need 15cm gap then stool 1 then 15cm gap then stool 2 then 15cm gap. Most stools are around 40cm wide so it would then go 15 + 40 + 15 + 40 +15 = 125cm of gap needed for 2 bar stools

18. Westminster

oh hang on got the 7m x 4m living dining measurement from the plans. Yeah that should suffice

So that leaves what is the length of the current bench ?

19. Jmillar

The 'island' bench will be 2.9m (including the 200mm gained from knocking down that half wall server).

I think I'll go open shelves and then stools. Will make it more inviting and can dress it up a bit. Having cupboards will make it look too boxy and closed off I think. Plus, I don't even know what we would store in 200mm deep cupboards!

Westminster likes this.
  20. Jmillar

Found an awesome sink and tap today! They're a bit more expensive than I was originally looking at but I've been able to reduce the kitchen cost and I really wanted a nice tap!
    Sink
    Tap

All appliances are now sorted - last thing to finalise is the bench top. We saw this one at the Laminex showroom today and it is exactly what we want and comes in 3250x1600mm, but I have read some bad reviews about Essastone - see here – does anyone have experience with this brand, and would you recommend them if so?

Essastone Unique Calacatta by Laminex Review
    Unique Calacatta | Essastone | Brand | LaminexAU Site

I don’t like the Quantum Quartz and Ceasarstone jumbo slab colours.

Smartstone don’t seem to have a similar colour to the Essastone one but I might visit their show room during the week and take a proper look. They seem to be one of the best brands.

Atec Stone have some similar ones too – they don't seem to be as popular as Smart Stone so not sure if they have as good a reputation?
    Calacatta Supreme - ATEC STONE
    Calacatta Premium - ATEC STONE

Thanks!