Help me with PPOR Reno!

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jmillar, 8th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I would expect that you should be able to find a cabinetmaker who might be able to do this for under $20k. Some will have a stonemason they deal with or do stone in house (larger companies). You should just need to arrange for a plumber/electrician to do any new connections and then connect up.
    I imagine there will be some sort of additional mark up on the work to cater for the hassle of doing apartment work - having to take everything up by lift, arranging goods lift access etc
    @Sackie or @Codie might have a sydney recommendation

Archaon likes this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Sydney Renos cost an arm and a leg if your going to any of the Reno companies.

I'd do what I did last time and it was probably less than half the cost most places would cost. Get a semi custom kitchen from Ikea. You can choose to use their stone or get your own. Same with appliances. They organise all the trades, demo etc and I found the total cost quite reasonable for a good looking and product. Tiling I'd go to Tile factory outlet. Probably one of the cheapest places in Australia with a massive range.

Anything bathroom related such as vanities, baths, taps etc, Highgrove is excellent value for money.

I don't think the unit Reno needs to be fully custom. With an semi custom approach you'll get a great modern look for about half the price.

Jmillar likes this.
  3. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Bench
    I’d get more opinions on removing lean-to on the kitchen and keeping the current kitchen layout, shaving that back and then running a Very nice smart or ceaserstone Calcutta bench with a water fall edge would look amazing with light oak floors. approx $1500sqm for the stone installed. Under mount the sink wth a nice tap

Cabinetry
    I’d get a company to remove and reface the draws & fronts keeping the original carcass, soft close is cheap and even go finger pull on top cabs with some nice handles on low cabs/draws.

laundry
    I’d turn this into a butlers pantry with bench space and a sink. Pretty much exactly what @Westminster posted with a space for a 7kg slimline washer (these are about 560mm deep)

Bathrooms
    I think there’s honestly nothing wrong with them, but the light timber vanity against those colour tiles is making it look dated. I’d leave the bathroom (unless it warranted a full gut and waterproof, expensive if your outsourcing) and I’d replace the vanity’s with something modern ($600-$900) a new modern toilet from highgrove ($250) and a nice mirror of a different shape, then just some simple fixtures like a 300-400mm shower head and some fancy taps. Chuck a nice plant, candle & stylish towel in there when styling and it will look like a different bathroom sub $<5k

Then just the go without saying things like a paint, floors which your all ready doing, I’d replace all your skirting boards with some 92mm (so cheap but makes the place look expensive and new) plantation shutters and head to spotlight for sheer curtains and rails.

@Sackie ’s idea about the ikea kitchen would be my second option if you can’t keep the existing by shaving down the middle island which IMO is the number 1 thing you have to do. It brings down the rest of the rooms.

Jmillar likes this.
  4. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

possible to paint the tiles without replacing?

5. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Has it’s place and have seen it done fine, on a 1.2m property I’d say the risk outweighs the reward

Archaon likes this.
  6. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

Thanks all, this is very useful.

Where would you recommend buying appliances and sink/taps from for the kitchen? If I am going to do the kitchen before I move in, I need to engage someone this week and start choosing everything. I've got a quote at $23k (kitchen company with main room showroom), expecting another Monday (builder) and will be getting 1-2 more next week from kitchen manufacturers/installers without showrooms (I assume these will be the cheapest and probably be the most detailed).

7. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

ive bought from High-grove, Reece, and Bunnings.

Highgrove wins for me hands down due to price, selection, and overall quality is great. I know some company’s using it in high end homes no problem. Makes no sense to me to pay 3x at Reece for the same thing.

They have also just brought in a new range of brushed nickel.. looks awesome and will be personally using it next reno.

Archaon likes this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Reece is crazy pricing for those who don't know better or want something very specific. HG wins hands down.

Also a smaller place in Syd called Reno link.

Bathroom Baths and Spas Drop In Baths

9. Westminster

I use:
    Harvey Norman Commercial (see if your contractor has an account with them to get you some wholesale pricing)
    Winnings Appliances (retail but have some good specials on appliances)
    Good Guys (again retail for appliances but do some package deals if you need new fridge, washer, oven, rangehood etc)
    Ikea (I have bought sinks from here and taps)
    Bunnings (I have bought sinks, taps, basins)

My favourite sink which I use in the kitchen (1.5 bowl no drainer) and laundry (1.0 bowl) is the Everhard Squareline Squareline Plus Single Bowl Sink | Everhard Industries - Squareline Plus Single Bowl Sink - Everhard Industries

Codie likes this.
  10. Jmillar

Thanks guys! I can get trade prices from Amber Tiles but might also check out Highgrove.

Appliances Online, Bing Lee and Good Guys seem to alternate between having the best prices for each of the appliances I check. I'll probably just figure out which models I want, and then try and get Appliances Online to price match all the best prices as they seem to have the largest range.

Are there brands to stay away from for appliances? I love the Smeg stuff so will probably go for that where it fits within our budget - mostly cooktop and oven. For dishwasher, the Bosch seems good as well. Fisher & Paykel seems to be well priced and does the job but doesn't look as good as Smeg/Bosch.

For the rangehood, would it look weird if I had a Smeg cooktop and oven and went for a Westinghouse or Bosch rangehood?

11. Westminster

Check out Siemens. Its the range up from Bosch and down from Neff (all same company) but its quite negotiable on price unlike some brands like Miele. it's as good as Smeg.

With the rangehood if it's integrated within the overheads then it doesn't matter if it brand matches. Check if the brand does a package deal though as it can be more economical sometimes to stick to one brand.

If you are thinking of reducing the fridge recess than make sure there is a few fridges that will fit it and make sure you leave enough height as the narrow fridges are taller than the wide ones.

12. Jmillar

Thanks Myf. If you had to choose between Westinghouse, Bosch and Fisher & Paykel, how would you put them in order? They all seem reasonably priced.

13. Westminster

Probably Westinghouse then F&P then Bosch in order of worst to best but there is nothing wrong with Westinghouse just not quite as good.

14. Jmillar

Thanks. Where does Electrolux fit in?

15. Westminster

Underneath Westinghouse I reckon

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If your thinking of selling, I'd be putting in Bosch as a minimum. You can buy a Bosch package from Bing lee and negotiate a great price sometimes.

SeafordSunshine and Jmillar like this.
  17. Jmillar

Thanks for your help all. I intend on being there for 3-5 years. I did some research and Bosch seems to be the all round winner - I wasn't expecting it since they are fairly well priced.

I always thought Smeg was one of the best as they look great and are expensive, but reviews told a different story. I'll be going to Bing Lee or Harvey Norman tomorrow to check out their Bosch ovens, cook tops, range hoods and dishwashers and will decide what models I want then start comparing prices and then see who will give the best price for a package.

For the kitchen I'll just go with white handle less drawers and cabinets (soft close) and a bench top with a stone like this. Atec Stone and Smart Stone do 1600mm wide slabs which means I can do both bench tops plus a waterfall out of one slab. (most other companies do 1400mm wide slabs which would mean a lot of waste and buying 2 slabs)
    River Run - ATEC STONE

Just need to decide on sink and mixer taps as well.. I'm thinking something like this:
    Winning Appliances | Kitchen & Laundry Appliances (need to check out the Everhard one Myf posted - it looks similar to this but is cheaper)

Winning Appliances | Kitchen & Laundry Appliances

Or this but in stainless not chrome
    Methven WELS 4 Star 7.5L/min Gooseneck Pull Out Sink Mixer

Or this
    Spin Pull Down Sink Mixer (Brushed Nickel) | Highgrove Bathrooms

18. Westminster

I will warn you that very white slabs like that aren't cheap but they are beautiful. For jumbo slabs like that Atec one also look at Silestone, Qstone, Quantum Quartz

If you like that style with the pull out then Bunnings have a few that might save you a little bit
    Dorf Chrome Vixen Retractable Sink Mixer

19. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia