Help me with PPOR Reno!

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jmillar, 8th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I've bought a unit which will be my PPOR - it's a $1.2m unit in an area where people will pay for a quality reno, so anything I do will add value but I also don't want to pay through the nose! Basically I have champagne taste on a sparkling water budget :)

I'm in the process of finalising the timber floor order - we are going with a natural oak colour throughout hallway, kitchen, living/dining. Keen to get everyone's thoughts on the other works I want to do - none of them are urgent so I can work through them over time but I have a window of 3-4 weeks between settlement and moving in, so I'd like to do as much as possible before moving in. My main questions are below. Images at the bottom of the post. Keep in mind I'm newish to reno's, especially higher quality ones.

Questions

1) (refer image 1) The TV needs to go on this wall, so I'll be relocating the TV point to this skirting board. I considered gyprocking over the window (too permanent, not great when I go to sell) and putting a TV unit in front of it but would look silly. So I'm going to get a custom freestanding entertainment built to cover from the wall to the door. Any recommendations for who to go to for this? I was quote $7-10k by some which sounds ludicrous! I would have thought $2-3k would be more like it?
    2) (refer images 2-4) The kitchen is fine as it is (10yr old unit), but I'd like to change the colour of the doors/drawers, plus remove the half wall behind the sink and replace with a large bench top all at one level to open it up. I would want soft close hinges and runners and a new sink too. Not sure what the cost of new drawers/doors is vs getting the existing ones poly coated? Can anyone recommend contacts for this? Given the kitchen is still fine as is, I'm just trying to do a facelift here and modernise it without breaking the bank
    3) (refer image 5) The laundry functions fine as is, but having 3 different colour/size tiles throughout annoys me. What would you do if this is your apartment? I'm thinking just a white tile on the floor and walls. I'm guessing the current tiles will need to be removed, then new waterproofing put down, then new tiles on top? Might as well replace the tub while I'm at it I guess...
    4) (refer images 6-7) Bathroom + ensuite are fine as is, but once I do the other works, they will look dated. I also want more storage in the bathrooms. I don't really like the colour of the floor tiles and would like a frameless shower. Any suggestions on how to achieve a more modern bathroom without completely doing the whole bathroom?
    5) (refer image 8) I'd like to get a sheer curtain and blockout curtain for these sliding doors onto the balcony - any recommendations on where to source?

Any help is appreciated!

Images
    1)
    [​IMG]
    2)
    [​IMG]
    3)
    [​IMG]
    4)
    [​IMG]
    5)
    [​IMG]
    6)
    [​IMG]
    7)
    [​IMG]
    8)
    [​IMG]

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

If you have to rewaterproof the laundry anyway, tile up to the ceiling.

Doesnt feel like that TV work is going to add value, but its ppor. Why wouldnt you put the TV under the aircon or just against that corner?

One thing to be careful of is how technology changes. Seen those custom built wooden TV cabinets or wired speakers in rooms? Thats dated.

Personally think the bathroom looks pretty good. The balcony is huge. Definitely want to carefully consider what to put there.

Last edited: 8th Jan, 2020
  3. Jmillar

Thanks for the response.

Yeah the TV work won't add much value unfortunately but needs to be done. If the TV is under air con then you have your back to the view, and have all the sun hitting the TV (glare issues). The best place is on that back wall.

ellejay likes this.
  4. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

No one is going to the the work for you, you need to be proactive and look at similar units up market or new designs in this area and surrounding area and see what you like and want to achieve?
    Just Google see what you like then ask for quotes and so on.
    Secondly, need to lodge with strata your design issues, even floor changes may be not permitted, tiles removed, electrical changes and so on...
    Thirdly once permission is received acquire materials, don't spend money prior.
    This is your PPOR so the design is of personal choice to you rather than from investment point of view, IMHO!

5. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    I reckon it looks super good as it is! Well done anyway and good luck!

6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

First, check with the body corporate to ensure your new timber flooring is installed to meet BC soundproofing requirements (unless you are on the ground floor).

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You can't do anything until it's been approved by body corp and any and all bylaws are drawn up and approved. If you do anything without approval they could easily make you to rip it out. The approval process can easily take 2 months or more. Before you go to body corp you need to know your scope of works. Any waterproofing needing to be done and you'll likely need a conveyancer to draw up a bylaw and for that to be approved.

If it were me, I'd be looking at top sales renovated in the area for similar stock and doing similar, especially if you plan to sell soonish.

If it's purely a ppor, do whatever pleases you and gets approved.

Don't underestimate the body corp approval process and time to get approved.

Last edited: 9th Jan, 2020
    The lucky duck and Archaon like this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't pay thousands for a bespoke TV unit that covers the window. I'd put a blind over it the same colour as the wall paint, and it will "disappear". Then low line TV unit that sits in front of the blind.

I'd remove the skirting tiles in the laundry and just paint the wall, or add normal skirting boards. I'd ditch the laundry tub and add a fitted bench with drop in sink and room for a washer under the other side.

Unless you really can't live with what looks like a pretty good unit as it is, I'd wait until you are going to sell down the track and do a larger makeover, with waterproofing and whatever is in fashion at that time, as whatever you do now will be dated in five to ten years.

Last edited: 9th Jan, 2020
    Marg4000 likes this.
  10. Jmillar

Yep thanks, all over this. I've obtained approval for the floors and read the by-laws thoroughly so know what's required for the other works. Cheers

Sackie likes this.
  11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Custom cabinetry isn't cheap and that probably is about right for that size. You could always look a jazzing up an Ikea cabinet if you want - google ikea tv cabinet hacks and you'll see some great ideas.

However I would put a plantation shutter over the window and just use a normal tv unit.

With the kitchen and island bench would be lovely but if you take out that wall I think you might need to redo the cabinetry there if you want it to support a larger stone top.

With the laundry I would put in a bench top, cupboards and a sink and maybe some overheads for extra storage. Something like this but if you want to use a dryer then just make sure there is enough room underneath the overheads or build a stack and put the overheads and sink to one side - you've got a massive balcony for putting out loads of washing though or you could get a combo washer/dryer

[​IMG]

With the bathrooms they seem pretty good and inoffensive. I'd probably leave them for a few years

Jmillar likes this.
  12. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Re the laundry - once you change the floor tiles you would then have to take up the kitchen floor also, then you might want to re-do the kitchen to turn that wall into an island (maybe the back cabinetry can stay and they can make you new doors). Its a great opportunity to add in extra storage into the laundry though.

Re curtains - s-wave curtains look the best IMO, I got a quote of about $1100 for a set of windows from a supplier but was able to do something similar using Freedom's s-wave range for about $250. They also allow you to stack a sheer with a blockout.

Re bathrooms - if you wanted to you could change all the chrome to black accessories, new round mirror and possibly new vanity.

13. Jmillar

Thanks Myf. I'd be happy with plantation shutters and a normal tv cabinet in front - would you like to call my Mrs and try and convince her?? :p When we move in we'll just put a tv cabinet in front of the window and I'm hoping we'll just get used it and not bother about the custom made TV unit :)

I've received some advice re the kitchen - it would be very difficult to remove the bench top and that half wall without damaging the carcass, so everyone I've spoken to said I should really just gut the whole kitchen and start again. They also advised the layout could be improved (fridge space is 1m wide - they suggested 850mm is plenty). And the oven should be moved to under the stove, and remove the cabinetry on the end (where the oven is) so the splash back is bigger. I would also remove the gyprock wall on the side - so I'd have a much bigger bench on both ends, and the kitchen would be more open. The kitchen is a really good size, but it looks very small because of the layout. Doing this would make it look so much better and increase resale value when the time comes.

I was planning on leaving the kitchen for a while, but I'd probably have to rip up half the timber floors to do it - so now I'm thinking I should just do the kitchen and floors now, before I move in. Or leave them both for a few months, but will be much harder once we've moved in :(

Thanks for the tip re the laundry - was thinking of similar colour floor tiles to your image and keep the white splashback, and just replace tub. I'll probably tile over the floor tiles. Is that bench in your photo custom made?

Bathrooms I'll leave for now - will probably tile over the floor tiles with a similar colour tile to your image (grey ash), leave the white tiles on the walls and just replace the back wall tiles, vanity, frameless shower and new toilet. But I won't do this for a while.

14. Jmillar

Hey Mel, thanks for your help!

That's a great tip re the curtains - will look into what Freedom have. The doors ar epretty big so I was given prices of around $3k just for the big ones, and then I'm guessing another $1200 for the double door.

15. Jmillar

Re the kitchen, does anyone have tips on who to use?

Speaking to kitchen showrooms, all they really do it help me choose something and then most of them outsource to the cabinetmakers, installers, stonemason, electrician, plumber etc and source the marble - all of which I'm guessing they'll just add their margin on. Should I just speak to a kitchen installer? I'm guessing they'll be able to give better advice and do it cheaper as well?

Same with bathrooms - I spoke to a builder this morning who was great but he's just going to outsource it and add his margin - could I just talk direct to a tiler? Will they mount vanities and bring in a waterproofer, electrician and plumber?

I don't really want to deal with multiple people for each room but not a fan of paying a 20% margin on everything if I can avoid it - would rather put that money into better products :)

16. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

Unfortunately you'll have to project manage multiple trades if you want to save the margin, so in the kitchen you'll need: cabinet maker who may or may not have a benchtop guy. Then you can use the same electrician and plumber throughout the unit.

In the bathroom you'll need a tiler who may or may not do waterproofing. Generally in my experience the plumber mounts the vanity. You may need a handyman to do towel rails and mirrors though.

17. Jmillar

Thanks Mel. I got a quote for $23k for the kitchen for a full reno (excl appliances). If I could get it done sub $20k I'd be fairly happy - does that sound about right? I'm not too fussy about the appliances - would just go with a reliable brand that does the job - maybe another $3-4k for dishwasher, oven and stove?

18. Curious2019

Curious2019 Well-Known Member

I can’t believe that sized apartment is $1.2mil! That’s Sydney for you I guess..

putting aside my shock, in the kitchen I’d get rid of the high back on the peninsula and create a flat bench top that people can sit at. The kitchen and rest of apartment also seems very yellow in the photos - is that just the lighting or actual colour? I’d spend some money on repainting the place first and seeing what difference that makes rather than $20k on a new kitchen.

Joynz likes this.
  19. Optimus

Optimus Well-Known Member Business Member

The walkway wouldn't be wide enough to have seating there.

20. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Stools pushed under a slight indentation would mean once people are in the unit, the stools could be used. It would mean losing a little width for storage.

I also would want to remove the raised hob wall and open the kitchen to the unit, but that must be balanced against having everything on show.