Help me understand the concept of "cutting off" someone on the road

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by jaybean, 2nd May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I've been driving for over 20+ years and for the life of me I don't get the concept.

Mind you, when it comes to normal queues I am extremely touchy. If someone cuts in line while at the shops or takes my parking spot, sparks will fly. Even if I see someone cutting in line behind me and it doesn't even affect me...I still struggle to hold my tongue.

But when I'm driving...in my 20 years I have yet to actually see an example that I can point to and say "yes, that's what it means to cut me off". I simply don't get it.

Is it when someone overtakes you? If they're roughly around the max limit, who ****** cares?

Does it mean someone overtaking you then going considerably slower than the max limit? This is pretty rare IMO.

Or you're stuck in a traffic jam and someone sneaks in front of you? In my experience it adds s--t all to your overall travel time. A few seconds per car, even when it's all jammed up. Oh big freaking whoop. This isn't even in the same ballpark as someone sneaking in front of you while waiting at a restaurant for example. Not even the same universe. I mean this is probably the most annoying one I can think of, but it's not even horn-worthy 99% of the time.

What exactly is this thing that people have been known to literally kill each other over? Every time I hear friends complaining about it I just nod my head, too afraid to ask them what they're even talking about. Help me understand why I should be upset.

Last edited: 2nd May, 2021
    samiam and thatbum like this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

It's when they shove in front of you - forcing you to either swerve or slam on the brakes to prevent an accident.

This can happen when the other car is overtaking and forcing themselves back in, or refusing to leave a gap when merging, or pulling out in front of you ... lotsa options

As for people going waaaaay over the top - completely unnecessary, simply mutter mutter and perhaps give them the old Italian **** yourself signal is all that is required. No point in losing your cool, even if someone pinches your car spot - solves nothing and only raises your blood pressure.

Sadly, many don't take this chilled method - to much testosterone or personal stress or simply an aggressive a/hole - and best to be avoided, rather than escalating

Last edited by a moderator: 2nd May, 2021
    Stoffo likes this.
  3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Anyone who rides a motorcycle knows what this is. Very common and training courses usually teachers riders road position to discourage it.

For cars it is a very aggressive maneuver designed to threaten and harm a similar or a smaller or more vulnerable vehicle. Trucks do it to cars, large 4wd do it to small city cars etc.

4. jaybean

Ok yes I agree that sounds dangerous but how often does this happen? A slight tap of the breaks maybe, but certainly not a swerve or slam. I drive every day and I don't witness it that often, especially not as much as all the people complaining about it would like to suggest. And when it does happen, the way people describe it...sounds like they've just killed their children or something. The whole thing sounds utterly absurd to complain about in most cases (yeah I know I'm preaching to the choir). In all my time driving, the causes of potential accidents have come from many other places, not people cutting me off.

5. jaybean

Yeah maybe if you're on a bike it's a much different perspective.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Try riding a pushy in traffic, you'll soon understand how dangerous it can be whether intentional or inadvertent.

inertia likes this.
  7. jaybean

Yup I can see it now. However most of the stories I hear about people getting into altercations involve cars. I'm really just trying to understand the mindset of someone who is motivated enough to get out of their car to physically interact with another person. What does it take to bring it to that point. And to that extent, I just don't see it.

8. Scott No Mates

As I'm currently teaching 2 kids how to drive a manual, I smoke leading patience and a new vocabulary :oops:

9. jaybean

Thank god someone is teaching a new generation to drive manuals. I hear it's on the decline. What's the damn point of driving a car if it's not manual. I'd get bored out of my mind.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  10. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

When I have to cue to get off at a particular exit, and then someone just bypasses the cue and jumps in front of me is what I call cutting off. I leave a good amount of space in-front because I hate tailgaters, but unfortunately, I’m prone to getting cut off. In saying that, my headspace when driving is pretty good as I allow a lot of time to get to where I need to, so I don’t normally get frustrated, but there is the odd occasions where I am rushing to get home etc,.

11. jaybean

Can't say I've experienced that very often. Most of the exits I've seen are 1 lane. I think 2 lane exits in general are problematic. There's a 2 lane exit I know of just south of Turramurra that leaves me scratching my head sometimes wondering what a mess it is.

12. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

I am a girl, so my dad didn’t give me an option :D
    Sometimes the trainer makes the decision, not the trainee.

13. Scott No Mates

Took my car up to the panel beater for a good detail & minor repairs, he remarked How few manuals there were now.

It takes a lot more skill to pick up the manual at day 1 and stick with it. However, it'll be a skill for no matter what car they drive later.

@Shazz@ Lil Ms No Mates 'got' the manual faster than my son.

Shazz@ likes this.
  14. jaybean

It's not even a matter of skill in my opinion. It's a matter of not being bored to hell. When I drive autos I struggle to stay awake. At least manuals keep me engaged.

15. Scott No Mates

I have been known to forget at the end of the M1 :oops:

16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I drive a manual. It's lost value much more quickly than equivalent automatics.

17. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I see this sticker every now and again,not sure how good it works..
    upload_2021-5-2_20-2-31.jpeg

datto likes this.
  18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

When they cut me off and give me the finger, that annoys me no end.

19. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

If you don't get it, it's probably because you are the person who does it.

bashworth likes this.
  20. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I learnt to drive on a manual, couldn't drive one for the life of me now ... mind you it has been 50 years since I learnt how to start a car on a hill ... :eek: