Help me pick a dog

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by tomlemke, 9th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member

Hey everyone, we had someone trying to break into our house last thursday whilst my fiancé was asleep after a nightshift.
    Luckily the neighbour called out to the intruder and they ran off.
    My fiancé is now terrified and is demanding that we have to get a dog.

We have a grassed area 3mx 2m and about 60sqm of pavers, we don't want an inside dog.
    Every time we decide on a dog someone tells us that they are no good, i grew up with a staffy
    and he spends more time up at the beach then in the yard. so i defiantly don't want to risk getting another one of those, she had a cocker spanial which is more like a cat.

We would love to get one from the pound but they are mostly Great danes x mastiffs or staffys.
    My uncle got what he thought was a mastiff turned out to be the size of a small horse.

ill will run through a couple of the dogs we thought we would like, but we have been told to avoid. Hopefully someone can give me some positives instead of negatives. We are mainly looking for something we only have to walk once a day, medium size so it can stay outside and easy to tie out the front of cafes when we go on a sunday walk.

Boarder collie - to much energy , you will have to walk twice a day, it will rip the yard apart.

German sheppard - wee's on everything , destroy the yard and to much energy.

Pug - skin / glands problems.

Kelpie - same as the border collie to much energy.

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Only get a dog if you actually want a dog, not as an outdoor security system that you clean up poop after.

Bayview, chylld, Wall Street and 13 others like this.
  3. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member

Yeah we are fully aware of responsibilities of owning a dog after both growing up with dogs, we were always planning on getting one once the renovations were done.
    This drama just made us speed the process up.

4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I can give you lots of positives for many breeds of dogs, but realistically with limited space, not wanting an inside dog...

When she was younger our Lab insisted on walks twice a day. At 11 she's still very energetic. We also have a small terrier. She's a lap dog but also can be quite aggressive towards other dogs.

Board Collies & Kelpies are working dogs. Honestly I think they need to be on a farm, not in suburbia.

A smaller dog is probably more suited to your lifestyle, they also tend to be inside dogs however.

5. joel

joel Well-Known Member

My place was recently broken into as well, if you want a dog that can also act as security then you need one that *can* make noise, but won't unless threatened.

We are currently dog-sitting a Kelpie, she's a beautiful dog, very well behaved and hasn't done any damage to anything. The only time she barks is when someone knocks at the door at night. Loves to play but gets tired after a bit of fetch and trying to learn tricks. So far I've got her shaking hands and sitting, the next step is teaching it to fetch a beer.

Jack Russells are great dogs as well if you're looking for something smaller.

6. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

So you want a dog which is 'scary' but without too much energy/want to wreck your yard - tough combo.

I'd go for an older medium sized dog, they will generally be a lot more tame and relaxed, but still have a good presence. I've got a Collie x Kelpie who spends a lot of his time sitting around my desk in the study, or watching tv in the lounge on his bed. When he was younger he was a complete destroyer of yards though and needed a LOT of walking.

joel likes this.
  7. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Havanese. Insanely cute, suitable size for a small area, super friendly and cuddly.

8. Esh

Esh Well-Known Member

Don't personally have a dog but neighbours have a staffy and yes she has a lot of energy and just wants to fetch but is so loyal and protective of them. Not in an aggressive way. Never barks and is so patient. Once saw my neighbour in a hoodie at night and thought he was in the house and started to bark like mad. He had never heard her bark like that , she then calmed down realising he was the owner.

Staffy!

9. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

Not sure what the dog in my profile pic is. He looks pretty chilled but most likely an indoor dog ;)

tomlemke, Xenia and Jacque like this.
  10. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

My dog trainer will tell you to get a Pomeranian. They don't usually shut up on strangers, unlike the biggies who might ask your thieves to play with them.

Indoor dog though, very cute, very loyal, need grooming and temparement is a bit more like cat. :confused:

Note: still need twice a day walks

11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

CCTV cameras and motion sensors hooked up to dog barking noises! No **** to clean up!

T.C., WestOz, datto and 1 other person like this.
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Why not get an older dog from the pound - something over 4yrs old and doesn't have the boundless energy of something under 4. Don't get any sort of "working" dog as these are the most dumped due to endless energy - and they go crazy if not exercised properly. I have a Border/Koolie cross and a Border/Retriever/Kelpie cross and they are both energiser bunnies on steroids. There is no way they'd cope in a suburban backyard.

My dogs have always been inside dogs and can never understand anyone who locks their dog outside. A dog is a pack animal - always has been and always will - and you are it's pack. To shut it away from it's pack leader and mates is simply cruel - even worse if you're going to be out at work for significant periods of time then that time "with you" is even more important ... make your dog a true part of the family and it will reward you endlessly.

So - breeds? Try and get a mongrel from somewhere like "paws and claws" or "dog rescue" in Newcastle ... here's some cuties, but I won't look to hard 'cause hubby's told me no more dogs

Dog Rescue Newcastle - Adopt a Dog or Puppy

Peppa looks perfect ... so does Cherry (page 3) ... Max (page 4) I'm in love!

Last edited: 9th Dec, 2015
    Tim86, WattleIdo, Kesse and 3 others like this.
  13. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

They sound like cuties I'd love to meet :rolleyes:

14. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Oh gosh this is right up my alley. Over the years we've owned several different breeds (including many of those already mentioned above) so here's my 2c:

Forget larger breeds like border collies, labs, german shepherds etc as your space is simply too small and unsuitable. They require space, exercise and time.

We currently have a border collie (our third) and a miniature long haired daschund (our second) and believe me when I tell you it's the dakky that visitors are afraid of, as he's quite the barker and guard dog. He has no qualms about barking ferociously with any stranger visiting and I've had one delivery guy refuse to get out of the van until I'd called him off :D Having said this, however, he wouldn't bite anyone but is very loyal and protective of his owners. Both of our dakkies were like this (last one sadly died from a tick :() and don't let their size belie their voice- they are loud!

Meanwhile, whilst our dakky goes off, Leo the BC lolls around, waiting for strangers to have a tickle and chat- hopeless guard dog but then again we've never trained him for this. He does chase cars and any moving objects (except for the ducks that congregate and poo all around the pool LOL :p) but lacks killer instincts, that's for sure.

We also had a gorgeous Pomeranian cross (with terrier) and she too was a terrific guard dog - barked but then capitulated once she got a pat or food, so the game would be up if you tried to burgle our place and came prepared with treats :D

My sister has a kelpie cross and, whilst gorgeous, is SO active so I wouldn't think your space large enough to keep a kelpie busy. Like labs, they are puppies for a LONGGGG time.....

I'd look for a RSPCA or shelter dog that isn't too big, has some type of terrier or dakky in them, and hopefully has some training time left. Big responsibility getting any animal but they do become man's best friend trust me - we love ours :):):)

Prosperous, Esh, D.T. and 2 others like this.
  15. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

When I read the title I was like "pug!"

Then I read for security purposes......scratch the pug idea.

If you do end up getting one though - there's an awesome breeder up your way. I got my boy from them - he's been the best dog. No health issues, etc. Would be a terrible guard dog though!

tomlemke and EN710 like this.
  16. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

Rescue Greyhound. Best dogs in the world.

But whatever you get don't support puppy farms. Get it from a rescue organisation. Dog Rescue Newcastle is great.

Esh, Jacque and bob shovel like this.
  17. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Post swim-in-the-dam

WP_20151113_006.jpg

Jacque, WattleIdo and EN710 like this.
  18. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

@Lizzie your dogs are gorgeous!

I'm going to vote Basenji for a good medium size dog. There is a few for rescue in QLD and petlink will fly dogs on the cheap or you could go for a drive. The Pure Breed Dogs of Australia

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Our previous dog was a Keeshond cross, mush.jpg rescued from the RSPCA as a 3 year old. She looked like a puppy right up until her death at the age of 14

They are "dutch barge" dogs - so bred to guard the small river barges and happy to lie around all day until "something" is on. She was more than happy to lie around all day under my feet - but would be at the door in an instant if a walk was on the cards - loved going to the beach - very social - but - coming from the barge guard background they need to be around their people - which would mean you'd need to have them inside while you are there ... also need clipping in summer

WattleIdo and EN710 like this.
  20. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Here's my boy, he's a 7 year old labby - we got him about 2 months ago. I'm not sure if he can bark, although he threatened to when I snuck down the side. I can't imagine he's a good guard dog, unless the burglar trips.

(This his him sneaking inside with the recent thunderstorm)

12278958_1693412177572176_2369256807547853796_n.jpg

Stu, WattleIdo and EN710 like this.