Help me make this house more appealing?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Gockie, 23rd Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm with the "deck on the front" camp - even if it's just a series of wide, sweeping platform steps. At the moment it looks like you've got to climb up a ladder to get to the front door.

Fix up the path to the front gate - gravel or crushed granite is fine if you don't want the expense of paver or concrete, but needs defined edging and to be kept weed free.

I'd also paint in modern colours - grey weatherboards with white trim - and chuck in a few plants. At the moment it looks like some old grandma's house - well maintained but still grandma's house

wylie likes this.
  2. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

This is a really cute house Gockie!
    I would also suggest to paint it grey with crisp white trims and white garage door. I think the little entrance area is cute, but paint the banister white. Also perhaps some white plantation shutters (or if too expensive, white wide panelled horizontal blinds) in the front windows. I'd also put in a nice path to the front door, probably recycled bricks in a herringbone pattern and soften the garden with a bit of planting. Also a white picket fence would up the cute appeal even more. Perhaps paint the front door in a contrasting colour, probably a soft blue since it's in a beachy area or grey if you want to stay safe.

I totally agree with the person that said it's a cute house but it looks like a nanna's house! Just needs a freshen up but it's a really lovely place :)

vtt
    :)

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It may not need a deck but possibly a path from the street to the entry and a lychgate/arbor at the fenceline. It needs something to draw you in.

Aerating/returfing/top dress the lawn once the path is done.

4. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I always found painting the roof to really boost the profile.

5. Countrynoob

Countrynoob Member

i agree with the grey/white, decking if in budget but i would paint first to see how it looks, the idea of the big grasses / cordalines ill be great you could even get away with some nice pots with architectural plants in like the ones in the pic

Attached Files:

6. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

The colours are very bland; suggest a deeper colour such as maybe charcoal or maybe something like Clolorbond Jasper for the walls, a few nice potplants along the bottom to soften the front, and rebirth the path to the front fence. Shutter blinds instead of curtains might also help it look a bit more "coastal".

7. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Perhaps bag or put some natives along the front of the house to soften the brick, defined paths also.

8. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Hi @Gockie

It really depends on your intentions for the site (which you have mentioned is to develop it) and at what point you'd be overcapitalizing.

You could add a deck and some very nice landscaping indeed, perhaps even increase the height of the windows, but this is probably all unnecessary expense if you have earmarked the site for development soon.

As others have suggested, some plants for colour and architecture would be great. Also is there a photo that would grab attention more as a feature photo? Perhaps a photo of the view taken from the front room looking out?

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I've currently decided to just make it a normal rental going forward, and down the track I could develop it. There is a really great back deck and people really like that (along with the proximity to beach and the Redcliffe cafe/holiday lifestyle, it also draws positive comments!)

Ps. This roof is really nice.. unlike the one in my Birkdale IP which is a total eyesore...