QLD Help me decide suburb in Brisbane

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Bayside, 18th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Can you sneak into Stafford Heights, Keppera, Ferny Hills or Everton Park for under $500K these days?

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@dan2101 has suggested some good areas. Personally, I would be trying to buy as close to the CBD as possible as your budget will allow. Free standing home and some room to add value. Look at Keperra and surrounds.

Something like this or similar in the area or surrounds. I am not saying this exact property.
    35 Yanderra Avenue, Arana Hills, Qld 4054 - Property Details

petewargent likes this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

take a 50 coin and ..........

ta
    rolf

4. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Ferny hills renovator or main road

5. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Main roads, Webster, Appleby, Stafford road etc. just under/on $500k. A few renovators $500-$550. Just paid $580 for Everton Park 4 bedder.

I Agree Keppera is up and coming and would be my pick of the bunch. I believe a few BA’s are targeting it, still close to the city and getting heaps for the $. Other one I would add is Arana Hill’s- Huge houses on House blocks, and only just past Everton.

6. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member Business Member

@Bayside, your list of suburbs covers many areas ( nearly the whole Brisbane), and the budget of $375k to $500k (flexible) is also wide. $500k can buy you a nice house with around 500m2 land in bayside, and $375 may only qualify you an average house in Logan LGA.

maybe narrow down your targeted suburb ( based on your budget) a bit

ndpjai likes this.
  7. Bayside

Bayside Member

Thanks, @dan2101, @Leo2413, @Codie. Haven't Kepperra and surrounding moved up a bit much in last 3-4 yrs? It seems to have been on investors' radar for long too - how is the owner occupier vs renters ratio? Do you reckon it still has good value for further growth?

8. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

I went to the Keperra chip shop the other day. A lot of 'interesting' characters in the suburb still.

The area has a terrible reputation that will put off a lot of ppor buyers. But yeah looks great on paper.

Ferny Grove and hills much much nicer areas

Sackie and ndpjai like this.
  9. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

This is exactly i found in Sep 2016 when i went to buy IP, ended up in Mitchelton even if 50K more than what i intended to. Still Keperra remains the same as you mentioned, probably in 3-5 years there will be lot of improvements.

10. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Yeah keperra has done between 5-10% last 3 or 4 years. The median ($535k) is still reasonably low when you compare to mitchellton which is next door for $637k. A couple of housos walking around the local chip shop isn’t going to stop most people buying there when it’s such good value compared to surrounding suburbs. Sydney is the perfect example of that. Most wouldn’t have dreamt of living in tregear, lethbridge Park etc 5 years ago but those prices have gone through the roof dragged along but the Sydney boom. And keperra is no where near on the scale of those suburbs.

Bayside likes this.
  11. virhlpool

virhlpool Well-Known Member

Cheers. Any insights on owner occupier % in Keperra? Is it any lower than surrounds? I am just suspecting it based on investor activity there.

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20180319-112005.png

13. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

How everyone think about Kenmore (north), Coopers Plains (south) or Jamboree Height (west) and surround?

14. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Whilst I don't disagree with some of the Demographics in the area, at the end of the day you get a lot of house plus a decent block at only 9kms to CBD approx. with an already mid 60% O/O, as people tidy these places up it wont take long to Gentrify. With a budget of $500k its hard to get much closer

dan2101 and Bayside like this.
  15. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

All three decent suburbs IMO in the order you have mentioned. Kenmore is west rather than north.

iloveqld and Patrick Bateman like this.
  16. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

17. Househunter

Househunter Active Member

I have pulled this little baby together, it may help with this question and the thread.

Ferny Hills looks like a pretty good hit here, what are your thoughts? Only 13.7% renters isnt much, is that too little for people, a concern with not being able to rent or is this a great sign?

What would be your rank of these 5 suburbs?
    upload_2018-6-4_16-40-38.png

18. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

High O/O Is always a good thing. Tends to lead to better schools and further demand by O/O families.

Also why would that be a concern? Don't you want less competition?

Your spreadsheet may be a little too simplified however as the lower/older part of ferny hills is completely different to the area bordering Bunya same with Arana Hills.

19. Househunter

Househunter Active Member

This little spreadsheet is a help to look at what is close to CBD and lowish entry price, more of a barometer to get a feel rather than a sure thing. A very blunt stick stick, more research to come!

My thoughts on the low rates of renters was initially, great! But is there a sweet spot of renter/OO or just the lower the better? Maybe no one wants to rent there? However, writing this does sound a bit foolish, because if no one wants to rent then no one wants to live there but that wouldn't be the case because there would be more renters haha.

How much value do you guys put on Renters VS OO?

upload_2018-6-5_8-46-7.png

20. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

I would say it's more important the further out. I imagine the inner trendy suburbs like new farm would have a lot of renters so would ignore it on blue chip inner suburbs.

High amounts of renters 10k or more out however is probably a bad sign. As it's more of a case of that's all they can afford.