Cars & Motorbikes Help me choose a car

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Realist35, 13th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Realist35

Realist35 Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

I've been quite frugal over the last 8 years as I was saving hard and investing, together with my partner. We now have 2 IPs and a decent share portfolio which can already give me an opportunity to retire in my home country (now). I am still far from FIRE in Australia though.

I'm thinking of treating ourselves with a nice car. Two questions:

1. I'm thinking between close to new camry 2021 hybrid for around 30k vs second hand Audi A5 vs second hand Mercedes C class. For the two euro cars I am happy to stretch our budget to around 45k which will likely mean 70,000-80,000km on the odometer.What do you think is a better choice? I prefer the looks of euro cars however I feel like the future is in electric and hybrid cars, so having a petrol car feels to me somehow backwards.
    2. I just feel bad spending all this money. I've been driving cheap second hand cars all my life. Do you think this is one of those decision I may regret later?

Thanks

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I would go the whitegoods on wheels (aka Toyota)

Have not been impressed with build quality of Mercs (driving friends and relos cars).

Never driven/owned Audi but heard they can be a bit expy to service (with genuine parts)

The Y-man

The Gambler and Realist35 like this.
  3. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

If you are frugal, buy a base model Camry. ;)

Realist35 likes this.
  4. The Y-man

One of the weird things I've noticed is that the fuel consumption of hybrids aren't that much better than "normal" ICEs.

The Y-man

Realist35 likes this.
  5. Realist35

That's exactly what my brain is telling me to do! And I really like how camry hybrid looks and drives, feels very responsive! Well eveything will be more responsive than my 2004 Hyundai getz lol. I better not test drive merc or audi.

6. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

If you're worried about spending money don't buy the Audi or Merc. The Camry will be cheaper to run and maintain but more importantly the depreciation will be less. Will always be in high demand.

7. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

I'd go the Toyota IMO. Overall it's going to be an easier experience. Do Audi and Benz have the opposite side wipers/indicator situation? Do they use the Brit versions of these cars or are they localised for Oz? It's a massive PITA constantly turning on the wipers when you want to indicate. You do get used to it after a bit, but still happens sometimes.

datto and Realist35 like this.
  8. The Y-man

Yeah, I drive my friends C class sometimes as well as their Macan, and constantly doing the wiper thing on every lane change and turn.

The Y-man

Realist35 likes this.
  9. The Y-man

Damn! You trump me there.

I've got a 2006 Mazda 2 with 25,000 km on the clock :D

I got no idea how you've kept the Getz running that long! That must be a world record of sorts. Have you let Hyundai know? They might give you a prize :cool:

The Y-man

Last edited: 13th Feb, 2022
    Realist35 likes this.
  10. The Y-man

Well here's the thing right, I've told this story before on the cars thread, but a few years ago my BIL gets this brand new W205 C200 and it was just baaaad..... like constantly creaking front door/window (just above my ear), a seat that was like a wooden board (and yes I have owned a BMW with full Cobra polyamide racing seat, and this was harder I swear!!)... I was just so unimpressed..... so maybe taking a test drive might not be a bad thing to convince you to go the Toy!!

The Y-man

Realist35 likes this.
  11. Realist35

Sorry, it's 2007, and my missus drives corola 2004

Yeah I'm a real cheap a**

12. The Y-man

2004 ToyRolla doesn't count. They are basically built like a truck, and will last for over 2 million km or the end of the world, whichever occurs first, and that is with no oil change....

The Y-man

Observer, inertia and Realist35 like this.
  13. The Y-man

Ok, another scare story from said BIL.

These things don't come with a spare wheel.

Now, this guy drives country miles - and one day he gets a flat (as you do) in the middle of nowhere.

The run-flats can go (allegedly) for a distance of 80km at 80km/h... which basically got him from middle of nowhere to edge of nowhere.

Anyway, no worries, he calls up the Merc Roadside Assist.

2 hours later, truck turns up, takes him back to Brisbane (where he lives). It's a Sunday, so he needs to wait until the next day to sort out the tyre replacement.

Then to top it off..... tyre is $300+ EACH!!

Don't believe me?
    POTENZA S001 (MOE) 245/40R18 97Y | 245/40R18 Tyres for sale

The Y-man

Anne11 and Observer like this.
  14. Realist35

Without oil change? Sounds like a prefect car for me!

15. Realist35

300$ per tyre? And that's for merc c200? I replace all of my getz tyres for 300$!

16. The Y-man

Yep. My Maz2 tyres are $65 each and I have so far only bought 6 tyres in the 250,000km. The first set that came with the car ran to 90,000km!! :eek:

The Y-man

Observer and Realist35 like this.
  17. Realist35

Damn, I don't think Merc is for me :eek:

18. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yeah I get you. I'm much the same and our net worth dictates a very flashy luxury vehicle. Even my wife doesn't understand my illness in being astute (about EVERYTHING).

But back to you, I would pick something that's a little cheaper than $45K (need to negotiate) that's around 5-10 yrs old ideally, loved by its previous owner, reliable, good looking for yrs to come, REALLY devalued from its new price and has the potential to be a future classic. Something like this:

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2012-bmw-6-series-640i-f06-auto-my13/OAG-AD-20434365/?Cr=0

or this

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2015-infiniti-qx70-s-premium-auto-4x4/SSE-AD-12246647/?Cr=0

Last edited: 13th Feb, 2022
    Realist35 likes this.
  19. The Y-man

...and if you must get an Audi hybrid.... go all out....

audi-rs-s-e-tron-2.jpg

:D:D:D At least it comes with 2 full size spare wheels!!

The Y-man

Realist35 likes this.
  20. Realist35

Oh man, i just fell in love with the first one! Actually with both cars i bet they would be pricey to maintain? And with over 100k on the odometer, maybe up for some significant service?