help making decision on SMSF vs. Super Fund

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by robs132, 17th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robs132

robs132 Active Member

Hi guys,

Looking for an awesome person / advisor who can help me decide whether I should purchase another IP in SMSF or go with industry super fund.

Any recommendations on a person I can talk to about this would be awesome!

thanks

Rob

2. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

robs132 likes this.
  3. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

You are in theory asking should I buy property or shares - up to you...

robs132 likes this.
  4. robs132

robs132 Active Member

yep... and would love some guidance or someone to run the numbers and chat to about this :)

5. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

No one can predict the future so I hedge my bets on both property and shares.

I use my SMSF to hold shares and in personal name hold property due to the advantages.

This gives me diversification and control both now and when in retirement.

If you don't own any shares I would encourage you to consider shares more so but if you want to gloat to friends about how many properties you own then by all means buy more property just understand what you are doing.

robs132 likes this.
  6. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Super for Lazy People - how to grow it if you don't want to SMSF

Fair bit is already discussed in the above threat reach out to some of guys who are contributing heavily like @The Falcon @oracle @Nodrog they know what they are doin' ...lets say they don't offer advice but I get more value from dem than financial planners....

Chris Au and robs132 like this.
  7. robs132

robs132 Active Member

Thanks heaps for the direction guys appreciate you taking the time

8. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Sash beat me to it. Some great discussion on this thread. While it isn't property vs shares which you might be looking for, there are other threads about that. Talk to your accountant, and those who are doing it about pros/cons of owning SMSF. A valuable comment I heard about setting up a SMSF is that you have to think about if/how the beneficiaries will be able to manage it when you're incapacitated/gone. I like the super fund option, along with diversifying into shares with it, but there are threads about property vs shares etc etc.

9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

If a member is incapacitated their attorney would step into their shoes and manage it as if they were them - appoint themselves a director etc.

If dead the SMSF may continue, but under the control of the remaining beneficiaries with your benefits paid out.

10. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

Yes, but they have to have knowledge how to manage a SMSF. If they have no interest in gaining that knowledge, then ??

11. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

12. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Wind it up.

13. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Why the hell anyone would want to stuff around trying to borrow to buy property in a SMSF beats me. Leverage generally far better in own name especially with increasing restrictions with getting money into Super.

Why not use Super to diversify into other assets.

robs132 and Sackie like this.
  14. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

For many people who want more property, purchasing via a SMSF is a way to get funding for more properties when they have maxed out their personal loan capacity. Given APRA rules, I think this will become more common.
    I like the simplification of the shares investing you do, but if you are young and can’t touch super for 30yrs like me, leverage with property within an SMSF makes a lot of sense to grow a capital base

15. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

me too :) a casual chat at a group meeting would be very useful no doubt ;)

robs132 likes this.
  16. robs132

robs132 Active Member

Loving this thread, thanks everyone for weighing in. My wife has very little interest in Finance and therefore the dead/incapacitated part would leave her having no clue what to do. So super fund would be better. Also insurances seem easier to arrange through a super func.

I keep flip flopping back and forth between one SMSF vs super fund. Will make a decision soon I reckon

17. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

There are a few ways people handle insurance with SMSFs.

First off relying on your industry super provided insurance may seem like the best thing to do in terms of cost effectiveness and cash flow but not necessarily. Most if not all group insurance products that are offered through super funds can be quite limiting especially for things like TPD and Income Protection.

A while ago I researched what Insurance to get and how to get it, I ended up with a provider that does insurance in a hybrid-manner, where the bulk of the premiums come out of Super(SMSFs) and the rest comes out of my pocket. There are some gotchas to this strategy but it generally costs about the same as Industry super and stays with you, wherever you move your super(including SMSFs) - you can take this policy with you and not sign-up/renew again and again and don't have to put up with industry funds changing policy terms and prices whenever they feel like it.

PS: My Life/TPD/IP/Trauma insurances are super-linked and with Zurich. For the sake of simplicity I tied the Insurance part to my industry super and transfer some money from SMSF whenever the premiums are due. Do your own DD and seek proper advice.

robs132 likes this.