Help make this space liveable

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Grey man, 1st May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Grey man

Grey man Member

I hate our open plan living area because the whole area feels like a traffic path: to outside, the sunroom, kitchen or fireplace. None of it feels cosy.

There are sliding doors to the sunroom, but these are most often left open because the sunroom door is often used to go outside. So is the deck door.

Different from what's pictured, at the moment there are two small couches right next to wood heater, which is where everyone wants to sit at this time of year.

Any ideas of how to lay out furniture, including shelving, or where to add a wall or two to give this space some structure and stop it feeling like a giant hallway?

(Another problem is having bedroom 2 and 3 open directly on to the living area = noise)

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If this was my place, I'd remove the fireplace and install a new kitchen backing onto that wall with the deeper fridge placed where the fireplace is now.

Maybe put the fireplace where the kitchen is now, or get a new one that sits in the wall between the "living" room and the new "family area" so that it heats both rooms.

The "stools" area of the kitchen then becomes the "hallway" between deck, sunroom and the cook is left alone between the bench and the back wall.

I'd also consider making one bathroom into two. There seems a lot of wasted space there, but much depends on why you are changing it, how long you will live there, what you really want, your budget and what is best use of that budget.

I'd also make the laundry smaller and take some of that space (already a toilet there it seems) into an ensuite (which would mean no need to touch the other bathroom).

You could change the entry to the second bedroom to come off the PWD. Is that just a hallway to the bathroom, used by the two bedrooms and visitors?
    IMG_7579.jpg

Last edited: 1st May, 2022
    Grey man, chunho01 and Rentvester like this.
  3. Grey man

Grey man Member

Thanks for your detailed response. Moving the kitchen there makes a lot of sense.

You're right about the laundry. We had thought about making it an ensuite, but don't really want one. Might change when kids are teenagers. For now, half of it is my office.

The long section next to the bathroom is a basin as pictured. It suits us to keep it this way with young kids.

But I liked your idea to move the door to bedroom two. As it is, bedroom two and three open directly on the kitchen and open plan living area, which is noisy and impractical. bathroom.jpg bathroom.jpg

4. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I'd agree with exactly what Wylie has suggested but would also:
    • convert the current living to an extra bedroom or study, home theatre etc.
    • remove wall between sunroom and new kitchen

Grey man likes this.