Help - Builder Issues

Discussion in 'Development' started by LloydThomas, 29th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TML

TML Well-Known Member

if you had the chance to do this again what are the things you wouldn't do?

Would you let the builder do the driveway as well instead of doing it yourself?

Add special clauses within the contract? e.g. third party access? etc

2. LloydThomas

LloydThomas Active Member

-If costs isn’t a factor then yes a turnkey solution would have been preferred.

-If I was doing it again, I would:

· Probably review the building regulation for the specific task I doing myself.

· Have a clearly statement of work with the regulations & plans for the trade to sign this off instead of verbal instructions

· Meet with the builder and trade onsite before work was done. I trusted that the builder would advise the trades accordingly.

· Do any of my own work after handover has been completed. Not during the contract period.

On a side note I had allowances in the contract for the driveway and other contingencies. The builder though thought he could tap into this as he pleased and there were variations without any communication and forcing me to pay this otherwise they wouldn’t continue, this is when the relationship started to deteriorate. I think not having this allowance in the contract may have been a better option as they are more likely to work towards the fixed contract price and be more diligent with their variations. However I would then need to have my own emergency funds separately.