Help!!! Block of land in Brisbane.

Discussion in 'Development' started by Mich, 6th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mich

Mich Active Member

I have just had an offer accepted for a block of land in BCC in an older already established area.
    Its quite possible it has been subdivided and I have the other half?
    My question is: What checks and searches do I need to do before I sign the contract I have in my hot little hands?
    A builder I have spoken to has said they will send me through the RP data results tonight and the dial before you dig will come in Monday or Tuesday. I have no idea what these are.
    However, am I suppose to get any searches done ie soil test etc
    I dont know where to start or go to.
    I will show this contract to a solicitor tomorrow before I sign.
    I just dont know if its worth paying hundreds for a soil test in an established area or if there is anything else I should be getting done and adding subject to in the contract.
    Can anyone please help this inexperienced land purchaser please?

2. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

the dial before you dig is a free service online www.1100.com.au. you register for an account, complete some details of the property. however it only gives you location of the servicing such as the water pipe, sewerage location etc BUT it probably won't give you info on whether the property you are buying were infact previously subdivided.

rpdata/price finder might give you info but i doubt it.

you can also try Brisbane council pdonline http://cityplan2014maps.brisbane.qld.gov.au /CityPlan/, enter the address detail. I would think if its has its low lot plans then it has its own title...from the interactive you can also check if any flood or landslide or bushfire overlays

you might want to work with your solicitor to extend/add clause favorable to your search/due diligence for the development.

i think soil is not your biggest concern, it would only add extra to the build/site cost if the soil is not optimal...

i would think ascertain the plot of land and whether there is any pending caveats/defects that will deny a build would be your biggest concern.. any registered easement on the block (probably your solicitor can ascertain this point on the contract)

@RPI company provides conveyancing, but also provide town planning advise. generally few hundred dollars and 2-5 days would ascertain your overall concerns. Doesn't include any soil test though as this is specific to the build.
    I would highly recommend this advise since you seem very green on world of build and subdivision. You should also get multiple advise to formulate your opinion.

3. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Cheers RR101
    Great advice on the places to look for free.

PDOnline the main things to look at are

Flooding & Overland Flow
    Dwelling House & Traditional Building Character Overlays

1100.com.au will show if any unregistered easements/encumbrances for sewer or drainage exist. These can be problematic on smaller lots as smaller ones increase the cost to build, larger ones can prohibit it altogether (unusual but does happen).

RetireRich101 likes this.