Help! 70’s cream brick & mission brown trim

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Toucan, 18th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

^^Classic example of why people shouldn't render..

that looks horrendous, requires maintenance and the character of the house is lost.. they could have cleaned up the landscaping and it would have looked great.

Joynz likes this.
  2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Yeah cheap looking render is like putting lipstick on a pig. It does improve but it will date and value badly like those old timber homes that had all the period timber windows ripped out and alum sliders put in.

Comes down to tasteful materials ....I just went past a new build in Sydney other day and was horrified. Purple bricks (yeh I thought that too) - Glazed face is a shiny enamelled gloss deep purple and it isnt the band. There is no construction project anywhere that should have that. Another a few street away has the worst brick I have ever seen on a new build and since its a 15+ metre frontage it just looks terrible on streetscape....Must grab a pic and post it. I look at it daily and ask what they were thinking. If it was a open and I was buying I wouldnt even call the agents its so bad. Their brick probably affects value by $100K. Assuming its just external....Prob not.

Westminster likes this.
  3. Toucan

Toucan Well-Known Member

Ok, problem solved! I feel bad now as it seems I’ve wasted everyone’s time...
    I had a really good look at the bricks today & the bottom brown is definitely painted already :/
    I can see brush strokes in certain areas & out the back it’s very obvious. I honestly couldn’t tell at first glance, hence why I started this thread, it’s amazing what you see when you open your eyes o_O

So, I’ll be painting them the same as the roof & trim colour.
    Thanks everyone for your answers, I really appreciate it.

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Picture of worst brick i have seen

Attached Files:

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

That's ok. It's always nice to get ideas
    If you think the brick underneath might be the same cream brick you can use paint remover and a lot of elbow grease and get it off.

6. sauber

sauber Well-Known Member

pretty sure this was in seaford, vic around corner from my dads place, looks ****!!!!

if i were you id kep the bricks or paint, dont render, render is so prone to watermarks and cracking, not cool

vbplease likes this.
  7. sauber

sauber Well-Known Member

im having the same dilemma atm, im looking to spray the bricks myself, i dont wanna render cause of things mentioned above.if i had to do anything maybe bag them is an option.....

vbplease likes this.
  8. vbplease

vbplease Well-Known Member

Bee-mumma likes this.
  9. sauber

sauber Well-Known Member

loveeeee it!!!!!