Hello. Need help about exit cleaining

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Famedevon, 30th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Famedevon

Famedevon New Member

Hi everyone,
    This forum is quite informative.

I just moved out of a property and unfortunately couldn't get time to clean it.

Now the agent is chasing me for paying additional week's rent as they need a lot of time to clean the property and losing rent in the meantime, plus exorbitant cleaning costs.

Finding who did what aside, what are my rights here? I'm well aware I need to pay the cleaning costs. Can I also be asked to pay 1 week rent to get the property back in pristine condition.(The rent is $800 per week so it would be a lot.). In general, can I be asked to pay rent after I've vacated the property and handed over the keys.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Doesn't sound right.
    Normally as a landlord, we would get the place professionally cleaned, and the cost taken from the bond (copy of invoice can be provided to tenant).

The Y-man

3. Famedevon

Famedevon New Member

Thanks for your reply. Exactly my thoughts. That's the process. And I have told them that I agree to it. I have even apologised and have promised to make immediate payments as soon as I get the invoice.
    But if they take 2 weeks to clean the property or 2 days, I believe I'm not liable for the rent lost in that period.

4. ChrisDim

ChrisDim Well-Known Member

If the property was left in a bad state and it can’t be put on the market until it is cleaned, then it’s only fair to get charged for costs and for the time the property wasn’t put on the market.

I don’t understand though... why don’t you just organise to have the place cleaned ASAP so that everyone can moves on? I would have thought, talking to the property manager and organizing for the cleanup ASAP should be higher priority than seeking advice here.

5. Famedevon

Famedevon New Member

Thanks all. It is sorted now. The agent is getting the property cleaned and will charge me for the invoice value.
    @ChrisDim I vacated the property so the agent employed her own cleaners the next working day, with my agreement.

Michael Mitchell, Stoffo and ChrisDim like this.
  6. ChrisDim

ChrisDim Well-Known Member

good man... life doesn't have to be hard. My heartfelt advice to you, if you can manage, is to try and buy your own place at some point. Even if you rentvest and you have to make sacrifices, it is still worth it in the long run. Best of luck.

Michael Mitchell and Sackie like this.
  7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

can I assume that you put your foot down a little and they realised that charging you a weeks rent on top of cleaning was pushing it?

Dan Wood likes this.

The shift to the regions has been quite profound with Millennials and Gen X leading the way. It seems affordability, lifestyle, and working from home have been the key drivers from which these generations have been able to take most advantage.