Hello from Sydney...Hoping to go from 0IP's to 1IP

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by twistedstats, 3rd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. twistedstats

twistedstats Well-Known Member

Joined Somersoft not long before it closed down so introducing myself here :). Looking for an IP in Brisbane (how surprising!) and hoping to learn a lot from this forum as well.

Work in finance so pretty comfortable crunching the numbers but the *slight* lack of confidence in interstate stock selection is making me hesitant to pull the trigger.

KayTea and wombat777 like this.
  2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Gday twisted!
    first things first.... Change the thread title to "GOING to go from 0ips to 1ip!"

Keep reading and researching, then hand over a bunch of money! ;) there's been plenty of bris and a good thread or two on interstate buying. look at jumping on a plane for a weekend to get a feel for a few areas and properties

3. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Welcome twisted stats, what suburbs are you looking at?

4. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Welcome @twistedstats. Looking forward to your contributions.

As for the interstate buying, narrow down some areas of interest then hop a plane a few times and get on the ground. It will be the bridge between wanting to buy and having the confidence and knowledge to do so. :)

In the mean time, read heaps, ask lots of questions and enjoy the experience!

5. twistedstats

Thanks guys.....may have given me the kick up the backside I need to finally fly up there..

wombat777 likes this.
  6. Wandercro

Wandercro Well-Known Member

Definitely recommend going up there and checking it out. Did it about a month ago. There is only so much you can do online and being on the ground gives you a "feel" for the area your looking at. Also good to meet some RE and speak face to face.

Like you I'm also a noob and working on my first. My biggest problem at the moment is a lot of stock is under contract straight away! Just need to keep looking.

wombat777 likes this.
  7. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I used a Buyer's Agent. It did help having someone on the ground to do the searching / inspecting for me.

I does help to be generally familiar with an area so a trip north is worthwhile if you have the time.

8. twistedstats

Yeah, having the same problem. Just have to book the flight and hopefully something pops up same day. I'm seeing quite a lot of listings on re in the areas I'm looking at North or South Brisbane but any houses priced well in the ideal investor "price range" of 400-500K seems to go quick. Maybe sight unseen is the way to go.....

9. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

*KICK*

Do it :)

It's the best way.

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Even enquire on properties without open times or properties that are listed without an address. Its a bit more work but if you find them, could be better buys due to less competition.

The buy I got was listed without an open time, the 2 blokes (agents) both went on holidays that weekend.... I have a feeling at least one of those agents goes on holidays outside of Brisbane every second week or so.

I drove over to see the listed property even though it wasn't listed as having an open and bay views greeted me from the front lawn... I texted both agents on the phone to find out if it was under offer, and luck has it, I got the reply, no! :)

Last edited: 6th Aug, 2015
    twistedstats likes this.
  11. twistedstats

Nice work...

Gockie likes this.