Hello & financing reno

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Malbec2017, 11th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Malbec2017

Malbec2017 New Member

Hi there

I have lurked for a while and found some useful info so I thought it time to sign up and say hello.

Myself and partner are on the Gold Coast and about to buy our first home. To keep within the budget for our deposit amount we are looking at 3 bed houses with a view to extending and renovating to make 4 bed.

We would like to commence the improvements sooner rather than later but before we commit to buy a 3 bed we need to consider how we would finance the extension and reno. Looking online it seems the usual way is to release equity which we will not have, but I have also seen construction loans mentioned.

My question is would anybody here know if this is a typical way to finance an extension (provided the lending criteria is met) and would we need to provide a deposit for the construction loan, similar to the down payment for a house?

Lindsay_W likes this.
  2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Yes renovations are funded via construction loans all the time
    Typically you would need to get quote, plans, specs etc - get an as if complete construction valuation and this will determine how much cash you need to put towards the renovations (if any)
    Can I ask, is this part of a 'flipping' strategy or you just need a house with 4 bedrooms?
    Are you using a mortgage broker for your finance, if not, WHY not?

Malbec2017 likes this.
  3. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

You’d need a construction loan.

You provide the lenders with plans, building contract etc - they’ll order an on completion valuation.

They’ll lend against that valuation result. The valuation amount will determine whether you have enough equity to obtain the loan without forking out more cash.

Cheers

Jamie

Malbec2017 likes this.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.