Hello and input for Melbourne disaster renters please

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mslisa, 24th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mslisa

Mslisa New Member

Hi All !

We have had a Brisbane property for 4 years and it’s been a dream, same amazing tenants for the whole time so we decided to invest in Melbourne.
    It’s been nothing but a disaster !

Our renters after 8 weeks fell behind on the rent. Cut a long story short we agreed to a payment terms that they again did not comply. So it went to the tribunal and they have done a runner. We are 3 months with no rent.

We had the keys today and the place is trashed. It’s 6 months old. There were dog turds in the living room on the carpet, 4 doors are chewed by the dog. Cement tipped in the garden ( he was a builder) and old sofas left in the front garden. It’s pretty upsetting

We are meeting new real estate agents tomorrow and we need to get it cleaned up fast.
    I want to go legal as the bond will not cover anywhere near the lost rent or the damage. I’m so glad this isn’t my first experience as it’s devastating.

So has anyone had a similar experience? Is it worth taking them to court over this or do we cut our losses?
    Thank you for your advice and sorry for the long winded story
    Lis

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Insurance claim.

meni and Joynz like this.
  3. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

Yes had similar happen to me twice.

There's no point starting court proceedings, you'll just be throwing away money. These type of people have no dignity, a court order against their name will mean nothing to them.

Best thing to to is go straight to the insurer. Get paid out and get the repairs started.

Where about's is the property in Melb? After being through similar just recently, I can put you in contact with some decent trades to help with repairs. I know how stressful something like this can be.

meni likes this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Forget legals. Insurance time . Fix up. Move on. Just approach it from a risk management perspective . Don't take it personally . Will do you more harm with no benefits.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  5. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

I would request that your old property manager submit a VCAT application just so their names are "on file". It'll take six weeks to get a hearing, and you can cancel before that. Also add to the tenant black list (if it's worth anything). A good strategy that has worked in the past is to turn up unannounced at the tenants place of employment and talk loudly about unpaid rent and damages. Alas, I doubt the builder has a formal office environment.

6. Skilledhanslady

Skilledhanslady Member

Wow, I am new to all of this & I suppose can only offer my sincerest condolences.

Indeed that sort of scenario was what my dam dreams where made of .

That sort of risk was the main reason I never rented out my lovely home even whilst not residing there.

I couldn't bear the though of such a horrible lack of respect from tenants.

I personally would be out on the name & shame warpath for this builder guy . Indeed so by making as certain as possible that his actions affect his credibility in his wk - industry.

If he is involved in any sort of online search tradies resource location finder. I suggest some profoundly negative feedback against his credibility is in order.

After all it is fair to assume that : any tradesman who shows such a lack of respect for his landlords property. Could tend to apply a similar unforeseen substandard result re his workmanship.

I have actually seen cases Where as the guilty tradie has offered to re-eburse the previous creditor to remove the deprimental feedback,

I hope yr next tenant experiences are positive & hassle free.

Renting property tho is not my cup of tea I admit,

Kind regards

7. Ricki barkham

Ricki barkham Well-Known Member

I had tennets trash my place.
    Insurance will cover damage s and rent lossess