Hello amazing property people!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Steersy, 14th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Steersy

Steersy New Member

Hello everyone,

I hope you are all well and enjoying the fruits of your labour!

I am a newbie to the site but have been enjoying reading the endless valuable content here.

Currently have a single investment property in the inner norther part of Melbourne. Looking to purchase a second this year. My current property is paying itself off and ever so slightly negatively geared.

Couple of questions right off the bat and if anyone knows of a thread addressing these please point me in the right direction.

1. My only investment property is in my name, as I grow is it better to place in a trust/ legal entity or keep in my name? What are the benefits

2. Had anyone got any recommendations of an accountant who can help me maximise my money/ value to help me grow?

Thanks in advance guys

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

You need to see a professional. Everybody has different circumstances & what's good for someone could very well be the worst advice for someone else.

3. Steersy

Steersy New Member

Thanks @skater

Good advice indeed, was really just after any general points to consider. But thank you for the response

4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

An accountant / tax adviser wont help you grow or give "value" as you think. Instead they will guide and assist eg that question about trusts. I must answer it three times a day. In many cases I explain enough about the costs, tax issues and limits and why a trust may even be a terrible idea. And I often then suggest you go get legal advice on top. Its part of what I do for clients - I give value that way. The client is more knowledgeable and understands their choices. I would answer 20+ emails a day from clients on simple property & tax things. Brief reply - NO charge. Some its a few email and others we talk. The things most clients think of as complex are routine.

We add value through being available and listening and giving advice.

Steersy likes this.
  5. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Generally speaking, trusts are a waste of time and money for 90% of people

Steersy and Sackie like this.
  6. Steersy

Steersy New Member

Thank you Paul@pfi and Momentum for your response. Good info. I will keep going, lots to learn and digest.

7. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

Steersy likes this.
  8. Steersy

Steersy New Member

Thank you, really glad I have found this resource. Learning alot