VIC Heidelberg West fixer upper

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by t0087669, 4th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. t0087669

t0087669 Member

Hi guys,

I am a first home buyer in VIC, recently came across a small old house in Heidelberg West that is surprising within my budget,

I am hoping that anyone with local knowledge about the area can share some insights.

the house is close to ALDI Heidelberg West, closer to the creek side. I have heard that the closer to the river, the more dangerous it is, especially closer to Highpoint.

thanks for your help

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

For 9 years I owned an IP in Shelley Street, Heidelberg Heights. No issues. I don't know Heidelberg West very well but I shopped at Northlands a lot and Bunnings across the road and never had any problems.

Hopefully some locals will have some better insights.

3. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

I think you mean northland - that's pretty much safe - lots of Asian eateries around. and shops

highpoint is the ones where the police got kicked by a Sudanese.

not sure which part of heidleberg west but if it is ramu parade - man just drive down there and see burned out cars housing comm etc

closer to the river liberty pde I think is value more towards bellfield

Although it is rough and maybe even rougher than low socio economic logan - there are places that sell to close to million for standard size block

Also part of Heidelberg Heights was renamed to Ivanhoe which went from 400-500kish to 1.5 mil. there are talks about this as well so maybe have a look at properties closer to the border.

Banyule also has the most vegetation overlays I have seen

Perthguy likes this.
  4. t0087669

t0087669 Member

thanks for the reply, yes I meant Northland, thanks for the correction.

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 4.34.46 pm.png Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 4.33.24 pm.png
    do you know that the buildings in the circled part are commission housings?

5. melbournian

Yes there are - I personally not a big fan or Heidelberg west but it is booming
    Just off Waterdale rd on bell st - double block went for 3 mil and also some new dev now doing lifestyle apartments.

If u think ascot vale which has one of the biggest if not biggest housing comm in melbourne off union rd some of the houses sell in the millions ard there and we not talking the better parts of ascot vale

MikeyBallarat and Perthguy like this.
  6. t0087669

t0087669 Member

Do you know much about this renewal program?
    https://www.planning.vic.gov.au/pol...llbardia-and-tarakan-estates,-heidelberg-west

Heidelberg West housing project that will see 154 state houses bulldozed and replaced by a whopping 730 homes.

The State Government plans to raze the run-down state-owned houses in the estates of Tarakan and Bell Bardia and sell the land to a private developer to build 560 private and 170 public houses instead.

Would this redevelopment be good for the housing price and livability in the area? Do you know where to find the status of such development? I tried to find the report from the hearing but found nothing.

Perthguy likes this.
  7. melbournian

Renders look nice

upload_2018-1-10_16-47-21.png

there are already parts that are being renewed . Saw a few apartment blocks renewed blocks off 367 liberty parade at auction on 16th Dec - lots of Asians moving into the area like the one who parked his merc opposite the auction etc. you can see some of the older blocks in the distance.

also new private apartment block selling up.

Cultivate Heidelberg West

upload_2018-1-10_16-48-6.png

upload_2018-1-10_16-48-43.png

upload_2018-1-10_16-49-7.png

upload_2018-1-10_16-49-35.png

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Footeriny

Footeriny Member

Heidelberg West has what I'm going to call "Micro Suburbs", best bet is to come have a look around and see what the particular scene is like where each property is.
    It ranges from ordinary suburban with decent old houses mixed with new townhouses, to pretty nasty old messy places and huge old public housing projects.
    Heaps of development going on and Its a nicer place to be than it was a few years ago.
    Less of the dangerous looking sort of people around ,but still definitely some interesting characters.
    Still some social issues here for sure, but more working class and young families coming in.
    The new public housing is soooo much nicer than the old stuff, some of it is already built and looks very nice actually.
    There are some flood zones to take note of but they don't seem to slow any develpment down.
    Prices on places just under 600sqm seem to be off a bit, could be some good buying at the moment in that 500-595 size range.

Perthguy likes this.