Hedging and privacy ideas adjacent to communal bins

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by lynchy, 20th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. lynchy

lynchy Well-Known Member

Perth > Melbourne > Sydney > London > Sydney
    Hi all,

My courtyard is adjacent to the communal bin area and currently has some hedging providing some privacy screening. The hedges just wont grow out at the bottom no matter how much I trim them and what I feed them and they're also a different species to my other hedges which I dislike

Looking for some ideas on the area. Do I just go with some mature hedging which is thick at the bottom and the same species as my other hedges or do I go for something completely different? I will be laying some decking soon so I could get some planting thats more of a feature that acts as a screen or just go with the mature hedges

Hedge to remove
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other hedge that I will keep

[​IMG]

Ideas

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Whatever plants you choose will have to be suitable for the location they will be planted in - I wonder if the garden is currently too dark or shady to grow any plants well. I am also wondering if the choice of landscaping might depend on the other residents or people walking past - does any excess rubbish get thrown into the bed which is damaging the current plants or might poison your new plants. Perhaps someone's kitty uses it as a litter tray?

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Consult your local nursery for low, bushy shrubs that you can plant in the spaces between the hedge bushes. Something that will grow in full shade.

Alternatively, maybe erect a low (60-70cm?) lattice screen on the top of the bricks in front of the hedge?

freyja likes this.
  4. Maplesmatta

Maplesmatta Active Member

The hedge you want to keep seems to be Murraya , its fast growing and hardy. Good idea to replace the other hedge with Murraya
    Once you placed the decking , you could add feature plants in pots