Hebel panel vs Sycon Strea cladding

Discussion in 'Development' started by melbourne171, 24th Dec, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

I am building a Hamptons style house. I understand that most Hampton house in Queensland are built with Sycon Strea cladding and horizontal line pattern. However, my house is on busy road. I think of Hebel cladding which is known as a very good noise insulation material. What do you think about this materials. Compared to Sycon Strea, does Hebel increase the building cost or labour cost?

Thanks!

Shahin_Afarin and dan_89 like this.
  2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Nothing on the sycon page or manual gives any insight into noise insulation for your application - you could have a chat to an acoustic consultant or to Hardies for suitable detailing to knock out the noise.

Are you installing double glazing? (Pretty pointless without it).

3. melbourne171

Hi Scott
    Because sycon is not good for noise insulation. I think of replace sycon with Hebel. You may misunderstand my previous post.

My main concern is the cost of Hebel.

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

They are 2 totally different products so hard to compare.
    With the Scyon Stria it's only 6mm or so thick so it would all be about the insulation and wrap you use behind it to absorb sound.

The Hebel won't have the look you are after unless you go hebel then Stria clad to it.

dan_89 and melbourne171 like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Reverse brick veneer.

6. melbourne171

Thanks for your advice.
    This will double cost :(. I will select either one.

7. Westminster

It probably wouldn't be double but whatever your builder normally uses is generally the most cost efficient.
    Scyon is a cladding it is not a wall system. The wall system for Scyon can be timber framing, steel framing, brick or any of the insulated systems like Hebel.
    Similarly Hebel is only a wall system and will need something on the outside to finish it - some sort of acrylic render or cladding
    So you need to compare the cost of the hebel system + acrylic render to whatever your builder has quoted currently.

melbourne171, EN710 and Sackie like this.
  8. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

The hamptons style house look is achieved best with Sycon Linea not stria. 16mm thick gives deep shadow lines.

9. Westminster

That is a good point. Linea is much better for the weatherboard look.

10. melbourne171

I have checked the building material cost, It seems that Scyon Stria has the same cost as brick veneer. Exon and Linea are cheaper. Just concerned that Linea looks very busy horizontal line pattern.

11. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Stria looks cheap imo. It could look busy if you got the 150 mm boards but linea looks best in 180mm. Have a look at the syconwalls instagram page there is lots of hamptons houses and they are all linea.

12. melbourne171

I requested architect to design Hamptons style because RE in area said Hamptons are best seller.

The house is located on a busy road. It is good to use Hebel for noise insulation. To use Hebel blocks sufficiently, I am thinking of building a contemporary house instead of Hamptons house. Not quite if it is good to change my mind at this stage. Contemporary house uses block geometric cladding instead of linear cladding.

13. SK Investments

SK Investments Well-Known Member

Wherever the wind takes me, currently Brisbane
    You can always use sound batts instead of regular insulation batts if you prefer to use Scyon cladding.

Westminster and melbourne171 like this.
  14. Westminster

Agree - this is what I was trying to explain.
    You need to compare the wall system to the wall system which is Hebel to timber framing with insulation. You can make the timber framing wall system have better acoustic properties by using acoustic insulation or acoustic gyprock

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  15. TerryN

TerryN Well-Known Member

The Hebel power panels (hebel to timber frame as Westminster mentioned) have been used extensively here (Wagga NSW area) in new housing for quite awhile by a few builder's who installed it themselves but currently, facebrick seems to be the preferred option again,which I don't mind been a bricklayer by trade.Not sure how it prices out in the city areas but from memory some people I know who were considering it a few years back,got a quote for around $165 a sq mtr finished.(that included a double coat of colour in acrylic render etc) so a bit dearer per mtr than finished brickwork but as I said the builder's here installed it themselves so it worked out ok for them I suppose,although we have seen substantial cracking on a lot of the older houses that were done around 10 to 15 years ago because of the straight jointing system probably and that has put a lot of people off the product.Not sure if this is any help to you but hopefully it gives you something more to consider.Regards Terry.

Joynz likes this.
  16. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Hebel needs to be externally finished. And as a product requires much more maintenance. If the issue is sound insulation go for something like an expanding foam insulation in the stud wall, then the external cladding doesn't matter so much. Personally I don't think hebel is a great product long term

bhojapudur likes this.
  17. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

@Scott No Mates response was completely relevant to your post, I suspect you may be the one misunderstanding the situation. Scyon and hebel are not comparable, they do different things, would be like asking for feedback on if you should choose bricks of cement render to build your walls with.

Also, as he pointed out if noise is an issue and you're using standard glazing then you're fighting a losing battle anyway. It needs to be addressed as an overall design solution.

18. melbourne171

Thanks sanj :)and Scott No Mates.

sanj likes this.