Hebel CSR Panel / Timber Vs Brick / Concerete - Duplex

Discussion in 'Development' started by Tenex, 12th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

I have noticed recently that a lot of builders and project homes promote Hebel / CSR panels (which I assume are steel) as party / separating wall for attached occupancies vs double brick wall.

They argue that these panels are cheaper and are built faster and also achieve the same sound proofing and fire rating and overall strength as brick.

I know that if a double brick separation wall doesn't have a cavity in between it is no good but other than that is there any merit to using these panels instead of Brick?

Also I have noticed that if you have a double story attached duplex / occupancy, a lot of builders recommend using 75mm hebel panel slab instead of full brick construction for the first (ground) floor and for the second floor they usually promote timber as opposed to concrete.

Is there a huge cost difference between the two (lets say over a 80 SQM floor)? I know timber will be very noisy which makes concrete ideal but will concrete break the bank?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Your architect should be able to advise as to the merits of Hebel over cavity brickwork. One will be the space saving 220mm for solid brick vs 150mm? for Hebel to achieve the same fire rating.

Brian84 likes this.
  3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Not sure about CSR but they could be talking about something similar to the Hardies Interhome system which is the same stuff they use for lift shaft lining. It's only about 25mm thick and can go between 2 framed structures to offer fire proofing

In this case the main benefit is the small amount of space it takes up. When building narrow structures every millimetre counts.

If the upper floor structure is concrete slab it needs to cure for quite awhile (around 6wks) if you want to have brick walls above it. If it's lightweight construction like timber framing walls you can do that quicker. If the upper floor structure is wood you can build straight away.

Brian84 likes this.
  4. 380

380 Well-Known Member

if you building PPoR, go for Brick on ground, and Hebel/Styrofoam render 1st floor.

Re: Party wall, best to consult your architect or building certifier.

5. Tenex

Tenex Well-Known Member

@Scott No Mates & @Westminster

You are quite right, space is one of the things they suggest but IMO in a dual occupancy the difference between the thickness of a panel and double brick shouldnt be the main decision maker. I am trying to see if these panels actually deliver on what they promise in terms of sound proofing and fire rating

@Be Developer, It will be PPoR plus selling combined in one.

Any reason you would recommend Hebel/Styrofoam for 1st floor? will they give you the same sound proofing as concrete? I would imagine they will be lighter than concrete which saves money but the main concern will be sound proofing, overall structure strength and also water proofing of wet areas that may leak as the building gets older.

6. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

The 25mm Gyprock stuff is what we use. It is pretty much just fire rated Gyprock.

7. 3354

3354 Active Member

Hebel has very good sound insulation ( and thermal which wont apply to a party wall) Many builders use Boral Shaftliner which is 25mm thick and have stud walls on either side. The Hebel does all of that plus is better for impact noise- you know when someone bangs against a party wall. Hebel is excellent for fire frating. You still need to line the panels or apply their proprietary render. cost wise all very much the same. A brick or block partywall requires scaffolding whereas Heben panels can be loifrd by two men and a hoist And best of all you can trim Heel as long as you dont damage the reo cage inside. I saw it first when Hebel launched their factorey. It was literally like seeing bread rise in an oven!

8. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

what about just good ol' FYRCHEK on 19mm steel battens?