Heater upgrades in Tasmania - any thoughts ?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by See Change, 5th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Tenancy laws in Tasmania are changing and heaters have to be installed in rental properties .

We've had our PM's in Hobart and Launceston arrange quotes and they came back with slightly different thoughts .

In Hobart the recommendation was Noirot 2000W panel heater around $ 500 fully installed .

In Launceston the recommendation was either a Mitsubishi 6 kw Wall mounted heat pump , priced $2560 .

The Hobart property has four units two of which are compact , but two are similar size to the units in launceston .

The Hobart ones are compliant with the legislation , but ? more expensive to run .We've have no issues with vacancies in Hobart . The block is well positioned so we'll probably go with the minimum .

The Launceston property is tired and we're using a vacancy as a time to upgrade one of the the units. The pm is keen on the heat pump , saying they're popular with tenants as they're cheaper to run .

Any other suggestions , thoughts or personal experience ?

Cliff

2. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

It isn't quite an apples for apples comparison - an electric heater is about 2.2 kw vs 6 kw for your split system.

There are smaller split systems though the install cost is probably similar so you only save on the capital cost. e.g. Mitsubishi Electric Air Conditioning Split Systems - Air Conditioning Online

But it would be potentially closer to $1500 for a smaller unit.

I actually think $500 for an electric heater is poor value. They all put out pretty much the same heat - even a $20 one from kmart. The run cost savings from AC are substantial.

3. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

I realise it's not an like for like comparison .

I'm fairly certain in our last PPOR , which was 450 M2 , we had two 6 Kw systems ( I think they were , large external ) , one for each level and we found that almost over kill .

So for a one bedroom unit around 90 m2 , any suggestions as to what size we should fit if we go for the split system .

Cliff

4. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Split systems (and electric heaters) really only heat the area they are in not the whole unit - so you are fairly safe basing it on room size. Insulation including curtains make a big difference to comfort.

I don't know what the heater rules are in Tassie - but a split system in the living area and then the tenant can use their own electric heaters if needed in the bedroom.