Hearing Aids

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by Islay, 10th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Is portable insurance as part of contents insurance the best way to insure hearing aids? Are there other insurance options? Thanks

2. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

An update for anyone who ever wonders about this in the future. There are few options available. Portable insurance for medical devices was the one I eventually chose. It was an addition to our contents insurance. $375/pa for $9800 coverage for "glasses and medical devices". This will cover the hearing aids and their accessories (mine are rechargeable batteries) any where in the world so no need for additional travel insurance

astonma, Gockie and Marg4000 like this.
  3. pwnitat0r

pwnitat0r Well-Known Member

Weigh up the cost versus benefits... how likely are you to lose your hearing aid(s)? How much does replacement cost?

$375/year to insure aid(s) worth $2-3k is not worth it IMO.

Do you have spares you can use as a back up if your main one is lost or stops working?

4. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Believe me I weighed up the cost/benefits! I am not sure what aids you wear but mine have a list price of about 6k each. Like all things prices are some what negotiable and 2 fitted aids with batteries and recharger (list price $445) I eventually paid $9.8k. I have a significant hearing loss and do not receive any subsidies or health card hence the high cost

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Our household policy allows up to $15K of unspecified portables and after that must be specified and the specified are on top of the $15K...Incl jewellery, mobiles, tablet, laptop and hearing aids. If claim is under $15k they dont even want to know what was insured just what I'm claiming and I have to prove I owned it and a police report etc . (gio nsw- Suncorp) Cost is immeasurable low. I just added a $4500 macbook and they didnt charge me for a $3.50 a change

A client recently told me they saw their $14k hearing aids in Costco...$3500. EXACTLY same. Different name. Same box but different label.

Marg4000 and Islay like this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The old medical expenses offset still covers this :) Its often overlooked.

Islay likes this.
  7. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Thank you I have this one and a few a few hundred dollars every 5 years from NIB health insurance. I can also write a submission for NDIS as I am under 65.

8. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

I have renewed our insurance with NRMA for this year but I will have a look at GIO and Suncorp next year, thank you. Costco is not near me and it is an interesting one. Some people love their amplifiers and others don't. Good hearing aids are great pieces of miniature technology theses days but come at a cost. Anyway I was not complaining about the cost just asking about insurance options. Thank you for your suggestions