Health & Family Healthy eating habits

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Xenia, 12th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

inspired by @Simon Hampels recent results.
    For those who are taking responsibilty on health (at least most of the time), what are your healthy eating habits that are working for you to keep weight down and energy up?

MTR likes this.
  2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Been eating a similar way to @Simon Hampel for a couple years now. Energy levels are usually quite consistent - weight rarely goes up/down. Apart from a lack of sleep (kids!!!!) I usually feel great.

I listened to a podcast from guy called Mark Sisson a couple of years ago (he was on Joe Rogan) - this one

He made a lot of sense - so I gave it a go and haven't looked back.

Cheers

Jamie

3. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Fasting once or twice a week works for me, as does eating when I'm hungry, not just because it's "meal-time".

I also cut down on refined-carbs, cut right back on preservative-y stuff, and I completely avoid artificial sweeteners.

My regular foods are: oats, eggs, chicken, pork, beef, potato, broccoli, spinach, cabbage, natural yoghurt, berries, dark chocolate, red wine, blue & brie cheeses, apples, bananas, or whatever fruit is in season.

I don't deprive myself of anything, if I want a cake I'll eat it, but I often find myself asking whether I want to shove all that sugar and fat into my gut... often the answer is no, or just a little.. :oops:;)

Getting proper sleep has had more impact on my energy levels than anything else.

Xenia, Redwing, EN710 and 3 others like this.
  4. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

He was one of the paleo pioneers and cuts a very impressive physique too.. he's nearly 60, and still sporting 6-pack abs!

Xenia, MTR and Jamie Moore like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Great loving all these threads

I have been inspired by what Simon has achieved. Am working on it:)

Xenia likes this.
  6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Not working for me right now but before I was renovating I found that preparing food in advance worked well for me. I used to spend around 1/2 hour each morning putting together my food for the day (except dinner). I found if I had healthy food on hand, I didn't have the motivation to seek out unhealthy alternatives.

I have now been renovating for year and now I'm just eating whatever is around. It's not working for me.

Xenia likes this.
  7. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I have kept my weight so far, cant call it successful as nothing lost. No fast food in general, no certain food ban just watch portion (1 scoop of really good gelato vs half a tub ;)), regular exercise, keep healthy snack around (I like watermelon atm)

Sackie, MTR and Bayview like this.
  8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I need to see if I gained kilos from my cruise... and if so, how many....

datto likes this.
  9. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

10. Bayview

I think "cruise" is a Latin word meaning 'weight gain"? :p

We did a 3 day cruise from L.A to Mexico when I lived in the USA...non-stop eat and drink-a-thon. :D

MTR likes this.
  11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think an average person can end up gaining 2kg or more per week if they aren't careful....

datto and Bayview like this.
  12. Bayview

I wasn't careful! :p

13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yes I stumbled upon Mark Sisson's blog previously as well. He's the reason I changed the way I get/stay lean ie using Intermittent fasting rather than cutting cals for a protracted period.

Jamie Moore likes this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Red or white? Do you have a preference

15. Bayview

White is the preference...the drier the better.

But; I'm easily pleased! :p

MTR likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Ditto

17. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Personally, I believe being physically active is far more important than perfecting diets.

Any regular diet in moderation is generally ok if you are physically active.
    Humans are physically functional beings.
    If you stop moving around and don't stimulate your body to adapt you lose functionality and die, or at least parts of you die.
    When you stimulate the body physically within its limits, it produces what's required to heal itself, grow stronger and remain healthy.

Apart from that, I think the next best place to start is to consume foods in their most natural state - meats, fish, fruits, vegetables, nuts, eggs, etc.
    Organic where possible and avoid anything processed as much as possible.
    It's quite basic and simple.
    Make a shopping list of these and only buy anything on the list, which is a pretty comprehensive list.

TAJ, Hodor, Gladys and 8 others like this.
  18. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I'm trying to slowly reducing carbohydrates. Especially the dinner one.

19. abbyfresh

abbyfresh Well-Known Member

Where possible:
    make own bread with bread maker & wholemeal flour
    knock out fresh juice in blender in morning with breakfast.
    drink purified water using reverse ozmosis filtration.
    minimise processed takeaway foods.
    steam vegetables as primary way.
    try to eat more quinoa & rice over pasta option.
    minimise sugar and be more creative like with making hot chocolate go the pure cocoa powder and honey. it beats the milo!
    weekly shop is centred on fresh produce and having a precise list via an app on phone.
    reduce canned food when there is a fresh more alternative option of the same.
    other than water drink oolong tea & green tea straight from the dried leaves.
    no processed meats.
    no more than one chicken or red meat meal per day and not everyday

Improving a lot by the year now which is great.

it is tough when you are away and you need to drop all standards and your body really knows the difference.
    only crave a chocolate bar or maccas when really not well and need a quick pick me up to get me through.

just think hunter and gatherer and what us humans are meant to eat. while I have a bit of diary, biologically I don't think humans are meant to be eating it, but that's a whole other debate.

Gladys likes this.
  20. Shaneo78

Shaneo78 Well-Known Member

I watched 'That sugar film' about 8 months ago. Although I knew sugar was in everything, this film highlighted just how much sugar is in everything. After watching that film, I have chosen to have a 'no added sugar diet'. I look at the ingredients for everything I buy and will fund an alternative if there is any sugar listed. To be honest, I have hardly noticed the change - most of my meals are very similar just without the added sugar. After giving up added sugar, the taste of fruit has never been so sweet.

I was relatively healthy and skinny before changing my diet, so I havent noticed a huge difference, however my partner lost about 6kgs in 6 weeks - And she ate what is considered a healthy diet beforehand.

Highly recommend the film.

I also recommend the book "why we get fat and what to do about it'. This book breaks food down to basic components and talks about how each component affects our bodies. I have tried to lower my carb intake after reading this book and move towards healthy fats.