Haymes water based acrylic high gloss paint

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by dabbler, 1st Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I usually use mineral spirits clean up gloss paints for doors and door frames etc......it is hard wearing and can clean with most things and they do not damage.......

Has anyond had experience with the Haymes product or similar ? Obviosly low fumes and easy clean up, but does it stack up for wear and tear etc ?

PS for rental the low fumes may be a negative, lot of people like the idea of fresh paint.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's fresh paint & still puts out some degree of fumes.

Water-based paint ie acrylic does not require solvent based cleanup.

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I've used a Dulux water based enamel. It is not as hard wearing as the oil based enamel. It chips and dings a lot easier.

Bear in mind you can't paint over the top of oil based paint with a water based acrylic. You need to overpaint with a primer first.

4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Yep. Use oil based if possible

5. dabbler

To be honest, I had already forked out the dosh and half way through the job before I thought about the lack of odour and read it was water based.

I guess you should never assume the person at the hardware actually listened to what you asked for, I walked off to look at some other things while they prepped the pot.

Anyways, job is done for now, colour match is perfect, so it will stay as water based unless it starts to come off.

Thanks guys

6. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

I'm using Haymes in PPOR. Water-based for walls and ceilings, oil gloss for doors, skirting, archs and cornices. The oil is lowish VOC which is nice, but still leaves an appreciable odour; not as bad as the old oils though. Water-based is pretty odour-free. No data yet on wear and tear.

7. dabbler

I was surprised by the water based, I could not smell it, but the water I used on the walls I could still smell the next day.

TBH for rentals I prefer some odour as everyone knows there is fresh paint....somewhere :)

8. xanh

xanh Active Member

I'm guessing it doesn't smell as much because of the amount of paint used ie. walls have a greater area than doors and trim. More area = more paint. More paint = more smell.

I've used Haymes. Not bad. I don't mind it. I've come across a few painters now who always use Haymes. I still agree with the others, though. Water based paint still won't beat oil-based for durability, in my opinion.

You can get water-based enamel paints. We had some painting done recently and they used a water based enamel. I'm not convinced its harder wearing than an oil based paint.

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The plus for water based or aqua enamel is that it tends to keep whites white rather than going yellow. So if you are painting a nice crisp white then aqua enamel can be a good choice.
    We've decided to go with it for the new house as the kids are older now (8+) and no longer running matchbox cars along the skirting boards.

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Water based gloss IMO is terrible. It chips and peels easily. Architraves, doors and skirts near doors dont take too many knocks to show and repaint needs a hard sand. Invest in disposable brushes etc and mineral gloss is better. The clean up is what makes mineral paints the hassle.

Some other options that reduce odour Eight of Australia's best low and zero VOC paints | Architecture And Design Porters is one of the best but not cheap.

11. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Brush strokes are also really obvious on water based enamels I have used, oil based gives a nice smooth finish

12. dabbler

Nope, it is not that.

It has almost no odor to my not so good sense of smell, compared to whatever cieling white or cheap wall paint, which stinks even before you spread it around :)

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia