Having a hard time drilling holes for curtain rods

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by DrunkSailor, 25th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

That drill bit looks really blunt.. cheap ones will blunt quickly, but so will expensive ones if you don't treat them properly. And blunt tips go nowhere (except maybe sideways).

Presuming you haven't found steel behind the render, get a proper masonry drill bit that can be used with a hammer drill (never heard of masonry bits that can't).

Then:
    1) make sure the bit sits straight in the chuck.
    2) Make sure the hammer function is on.
    3) use high speed and a light pressure on the drill. If you push hard while drilling fast you'll melt the tip

Perthguy likes this.
  2. DrunkSailor

DrunkSailor Well-Known Member

I finally got in. It took a while and it was very loud but I got 45mm into the wall enough to plant the anchors. However,on the other side of the wall I was able to drill into the brick like butter and the dust came out RED whereas the left side of the wall which was causing me so much trouble the dust was coming out a beige color! So I have no idea what's going on with my walls.

3. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Curtains.... too hard. If you install a venetian product you could have simply mounted it on or inside the windowframe.