Having a dog and barking yourself!

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by spludgey, 28th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I've got a property on the Central Coast where the tenant put a sun sail up on the gutter and completely ripped it down. They attempted a crappy repair.
    It took the PM three months to make it out there, even though I asked him to on a number of occasions (I know we've got covid, but FFS!).

This is his response, would you agree that his course of action is inadequate, as I feel it is?

"Sorry been a hectic week, I have gone down and had a look and there are a few issues

1. The back bargeboards are not repaired properly

2. The back downpipe is off

3. The side of the eve has come off ( part of the asbestos roof)

4. The blinds have been damaged beyond repair in the front rooms (not opening them to open the windows)

5. The temperature control knobs on the cooktop are all off

The property is not clean and the tenant has a lot of stuff in there,

As her lease is up in about 30 days I would suggest that we terminated at end of fixed term and in the letter state that these things have to be fixed prior to vacation.

Let me know if you are happy to go down this avenue
    "

2. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need a new PM. Not so sure about the tenant though. Are they grotty because they can get away with stuff? Why are knobs missing and blinds not working? I'd be getting the tenant to be paying for that.

Are the issues with bargeboards, eves and downpipes anything to do with tenant, or just wear & tear?

beach-haven likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like the shade sail damaged all those things, and the repair is unsatisfactory.

Has the agent arranged quotes to repair? I'm guessing the bond may not cover it.

Elives likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Would the tenants know if their knobs were missing? :confused:

5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

No good "Having a dog and barking yourself"
    As a phrase, I used this when talking to a concreter 10 days ago
    The next day he took all his gear along with my deposit, some people just don't get Aussie slang !!!!

After recently going thru tenant damage (almost 3 years in a brand new apartment with the cat destroying $6,500 of brand new roller blinds) I decided to start selling .........

The rules are so heavily weighted in the tenants favour that even after spending thousands going to the tribunal it isn't worth it, even if you do get a judgement in your favor they still won't pay :mad:

I'm now considering doing a @Sackie (buying to improve and flip;))

VB King, Antoni0 and Michael Mitchell like this.
  6. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Insurance claim to fix the Tenant damage, move Tenant on, and have a serious think about new PM?

Mel Morgan likes this.
  7. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

The PMs up here are actually too scared to confront the tenants when problems arise, as they get a bad name when they lose in tribunal. This business of repair as close as possible, means the tenant going to Bunnings and buying cheap junk and repairing things that they know nothing about, I've even had them do electrical work more than once. I paid a qualified tradie to build my homes, not a handy person or a person that picks up a paint brush once in a blue moon. A lot of interstate investors that can't see what's happening are in for a rude shock when they sell their IP's.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  8. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Are you ****ing kidding me?
    I asked him to breach her for the damage done, this is the termination letter he sent her: Screenshot_20211030_094914.jpg
    Nothing about the damage, nothing about having to have it fixed (other than a standard line in the fine print saying to return in original condition), nothing about consequences if this isn't done!

Am I being unreasonable here or is the PM not doing his job?

Last edited by a moderator: 30th Oct, 2021
    Elle Ar and Redwing like this.
  9. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Maybe the PM figures they will do more damage (vindictive) if they (the tenant) are hassled ?

Antoni0 likes this.
  10. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I would do exactly the same ... serve notice first, any damages to the property to be taken out of bond/or claim insurance. After tenant departs take photographs and get quotes for any repairs which you can use as evidence. Notice to Terminate does not take into account any damages - this cannot be ascertained until tenant vacates.
    You will know your PM has not done his/her job if there are no photographs or property inspection report at beginning of lease.

Elle Ar and Michael Mitchell like this.
  11. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member