Have you lived metres from level crossing or between close to 2 level crossings and a station

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by justine77, 7th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

Have you lived metres from level crossing or between close to 2 level crossings and a station
    how did you find the noise
    beeping
    ding ding ding
    or safety of people lurking around
    did you get used to it
    trains frieht trains deisel intercity how did you find the noise please.
    did your home vibrate how were you affected by living close to a level crossing please.

2. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Bad. Very bad. Also be prepared to sell at a big discount.

Propertunity likes this.
  3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Have lived in Geelong, East Geelong, West Geelong and Belmont (in years past)
    The trains these days aren't too bad noise wise (track noise)
    But those DAMN BEEPING HORNS !!!!!
    None of the above were within 8 blocks of the line or 10 blocks of a crossing !
    But the flat land and the noise floating on the night air :oops:
    I wouldnt buy near a crossing, let alone rent near one :p

(now in Syd, live 9min walk from the station, never hear much, an occasional midnight freight train or a Sunday morning heritige steam train 2/3 times a year, got to love those Syd hills ;) )

4. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

buy at a discount, sell at a discount should even itself out right

5. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

Lived next to train line many years ago. The first night we lived there it sounded like the 3am freight train was coming into our unit.

A week later we thought the train had been cancelled, but we just got used to it.

6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We used to live three streets away from the station and level crossing. The car traffic was more annoying on our road. This is the main train line to Cairns, with freight trains all night.

We now live about five miles from the same train line and we can hear trains in the middle of the night. We also hear also cows mooing, birds chirping and lawns being mown. You get used to it.

7. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

Level crossings are too noisy for me, but I am a light sleeper. I had a friend near a freight train route who was constantly being woken up (noise and vibration).

There are obvious advantages to living close to a strain station though which could cancel out the negatives.

8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

No. Can't say I have ever been in that situation.

9. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Train line runs passed the front of our house, maybe 200 meters straight across from our front door/bedroom.

First couple of nights we though there was an earthquake when the 3am steel freighter from Bluescope came passed, never heard it since. Your brain is remarkable at ignoring repeated patters of noise. Once your brain has tuned into the pattern you wont hear a thing.

It still amazes me how unbelievably loud the freighter is if I happen to be up/awake when it passes and how on earth we sleep through it.

The only thing that bugged me was the station announcements, they upgraded the PA and the announcer would wake me up every morning, I had to get on to them and they turned it down!

10. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Not if you are buying at peak (ie Sydney/Melbourne now).
    The discount will vary depending on the stage of the cycle. If bought at peak of cycle, discount will be much less, and if sold at the bottum of a cycle it will be sold at a much bigger discount, meaning you end up with returns much below the rest of the market.

11. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Yes but DOM will blowout. Not great if you need to get a quick sale.