Have you had enough? Ready to sell the portfolio?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Owlet, 21st Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Yeah, I get you, read my post above, you would regret it I feel, your already home ! You cannot just do as you like and be carefree.

I have a friend with no debt, and a lot of super etc, he keeps talking of retirement, I pointed out to him that on his days off, he is so busy, everyone has a list of chores for him, I said, if you go from 2 3 days off a week to 7, what do you think will happen ?

And with travel the way it is/has been, little reason to leave, he prob will once he can run away from the chores ! lol

It is also the downside of being a person that is able to do many and varied things, and then you have the ones that are like teats on a bull, they would get bored very quickly, so it depends on what your getting from work etc too...

2. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

Retirement doesn't mean you stop everything and get rocking chair and sit on the porch all day.
    You do what you like, as you like in your own pace.
    It gets boring very fast if you just sit around and not keep busy.

Or subcontract it as task or project based, and get it done as you see fit.
    Many people I know retired (wealthy) from 60hrs a week fulltime and became much more efficient, relaxed and made more in the retirement years than the 20yrs prior.

Emmz, Cousinit and skater like this.
  3. dabbler

Most "jobs" you cannot do that, I can do my mates job but no way a corporate would let me do the tasks for him, there is no way to legally do that either.

But, yeah, I said to him, you can do many and varied things and at own pace and choosing once you leave.

The only other issue, is often, the other half will not see anything but a regular job as work, and you are free to take up a list of never ending tasks :) It 100% happens.

Emmz likes this.
  4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Oi! You better not sprout that near Hubby if you're at the meetup. Just because I've given him a never ending amount of reno's doesn't mean you're right.:p

Emmz and krispy like this.
  5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

So all in on LICs /ETFs and no IPs apart from your current PPOR?

6. dabbler

I only speak from personal experience......and some relayed reliable experience :)

skater likes this.
  7. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Not certain what I would do if I was rolling in it.
    Probably have different friends and colleagues .
    Instead of reading these blogs and attending meetups I would be entertaining and jet setting around :rolleyes:

Travelbug likes this.
  8. dabbler

You can afford to upgrade at least friends once rolling in it, or downgrade them, depends what "it" is ? (I have livestock...lol)

"it" can prevent Covid, as people do keep well away :)

9. FredBear

FredBear Well-Known Member

I'm "in transition". I will be retired in 1 - 3 years time, so setting up the portfolio for this new life situation. I've found it useful to list all assets in a spreadsheet, and then calculate the percentages both by asset class and by currency. Currency is important as I live mostly in northern Europe. So I have a clear picture of what the breakdown looked like with the former PPOR in Sydney (55% property in AUD), what it looks like now, and what I want it to look like in 3 years time. Right now it is 10% property in EUR (PPOR + lifestyle property), 12% USD equities, 11% AUD super, plus cash and equities in AUD and EUR and some other bits and pieces..

I want to sell down the direct USD equities, and end up with a 50/50 EUR/AUD split. AUD super is matched by a theoretical investment that is my employment pension in EUR. I'd like to get a small base in Sydney, so cash is ready for that. It won't be an IP, just for family use. The rest is going into AUI, WHF, FGX and VGS, and in EUR selected local companies + Ireland listed ETFs. There aren't really any EUR LIC equivalents to the likes of AFI, ARG, AUI, WHF, FGX etc.

So a balance between currencies, different equities, with the aim of a easy to manage steady income stream.

Piston_Broke, Emmz and Anne11 like this.
  10. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

We have offloaded one IP. A nice unconditional offer accepted at the price we wanted. Settlement awaits. Now to prepare the next one for sale.

Emmz, bamp, Sackie and 1 other person like this.
  11. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Anyone can die young. Some will die straight after retirement due to lack of a routine. A good payslip is so important to the bank as a guarantee of confident if one needs a loan. So, I shall keep on working until my employer tell me to retire. :) Just have to manage stress and workload, which is not difficult if you have the position to tell your boss to F.O. You will be surprised how much more your job is secured when you can do that... :D

Piston_Broke and EK01 like this.
  12. EK01

EK01 Well-Known Member

Good points. I definitely won't be working until the boss tells me to go home permanently (I have (finally) made the decision to retire at the end of June and see how I go) but then I derive very little satisfaction from what I do at work. If you enjoy your work but no longer need to do so financially, then I am very envious of you.

13. Piston_Broke

While I think it's better than the opposite it's not always the best.
    Someone that works for the money can just walk away.
    For those of us that loved the job it just seems like an addiction, so it's a matter of finding a way of getting the "fix" without the shakles.
    Gotta learn to say no lol

14. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

NO!
    Say it with me....
    NO!

How do you feel Piston? :D

Piston_Broke likes this.
  15. Piston_Broke

NOOOooOO....maybe

I feel like aTooheys

Sackie likes this.
  16. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

Being addicted to work is such a foreign concept for me. Im always somewhere between bored and stressed, and much prefer bored. 5 years till semi retirement for me. Counting the days ....

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.