Have you ever installed NBN internet for a grannyflat?

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by joe2030, 15th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. joe2030

joe2030 Well-Known Member

In the page to check NBN availability Check your address | nbn - Australia's new broadband access network
    It says NBN HFC ready for the GF address such as 10a abc street.

I’ll confirm with TPG NBN case manager or contact NBNco directly to find out.

I just knew the main house uses iiNet NBN and the tenant is interested to share the intenet with the GF so they can save money.

I am not sure how great the Wifi extender works between the houses....

And not confident enough to dig and install Cat5 LAN cable... maybe 10 meters. Gotta research...

2. joe2030

At least, as a owner, i’d like to set up a actually ready for Internet for the GF tenant. Internet is more important than telephone line these days. It makes me easier to find or keep a tenant.

3. joe2030

It seems it is NBN HFC connection on the property. It looks not option for me. I will contact iiNet if they have a solution.

4. joe2030

nbn™ Hybrid Fibre Coaxial | nbn - Australia's new broadband access network

Thx. I understand a bit more. It is HFC connection.
    It looks i have 2 options.
    1) split and extend the coaxial cable to GF. It gonna be a separate account.
    2) extend cat5 lan cable from a router to Gf. It gonna be a one shared avcount.

5. joe2030

Dhoooo....

6. jyeung80

jyeung80 Well-Known Member

Yes, it's the same cable they use for Pay TV. Also, just to clarify, the main house already has an ACTIVE internet service with NBN?

No, you have to go through your ISP, i.e. iinet, TPG, Telstra, Optus, etc. They will engage NBN to do any of the works leading up to the NTD. Your ISP or electrician can do the internal wiring, including running a cable from the main house to the GF if needed.

So the GF has it's own address? I.e. it's been subdivided? Or is "10a abc street" the address of the main house? If it's subdivided, that will make things a lot easier. The tenants in the GF can just call up any ISP and request a new connection.

Yes, unless the GF has it's own address as above.

7. joe2030

10 abc street = Main House
    10a abc street = GF

It is not subdivided but the GF has it's own address. Based on what the TPG and NBNco said, the address "10a abc street" is registered to be ready for NBN HFC connection as well.
    I have spoken to a TPG case manager then she said "10a abc street" should be able to install NBN and the front house "10 abc street"'s iiNet NBN HFC connection won't affect. She would investigate with NBNco.

8. jyeung80

jyeung80 Well-Known Member

It sounds like NBN already have a sub-address in their system for your GF. Maybe somebody created it a while ago. Either way, I think you might be in luck. They should be able to run a separate cable to the GF and it will be a completely separate service with different name, account, etc.