Have you ever installed NBN internet for a grannyflat?

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by joe2030, 15th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. joe2030

joe2030 Well-Known Member

Have you ever installed NBN internet for a grannyflat?

I confirmed the NBN ready for the main house and the granny flat on my renting property in QLD.
    Once applied TPG installation, they cancelled due to that they are not able to activate.

I’m currently confirming the reason but no update yet.

Does anyone have the same experience?
    I am currently have a complaint from the tenant. She can’t get the internet to study.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

As the developer (I assume that you built the GF recently), you need to pay the developer contribution for NBN. The connection to the house was a gimme by nbnco.

Solution is to pay your connection fees to get the cable from the street. If you've paid the fee, her raise it with the TIO.

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've had NBN in a granny flat.

It was installed in our premises at no charge - however, because the GF wasn't registered as a separate residence at that stage, it wasn't installed automatically. We did get it installed, and I don't recall paying for it.

It the meantime the tenant kept using her ADSL connection.

4. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

We have the granny flat running off the main house wifi - need to position the point correctly and get a strong router - then an extender for the GF.

Both residences are Airbnb and the Optus unlimited plan of $60/month covers the both. Doing the same thing at home.

5. joe2030

I built the GF more than a year ago. The recent tenant wanted to connect the Internet and applied. The tenant and I noticed there is a problem to install by a NBN provider. As you said, it seems I need to install a physical cable to the GF. Am I correct? Do you know who is the best tradie to do so?

6. joe2030

I'm also renting the main front house to another tenant and not sure what internet service (NBN or ADSL) he is using. I'm checking with the rent agent.
    I wonder how you did get it installed? Is it easier to get the ADSL installed instead?

7. joe2030

1. Install the Internet connection at the main house.
    2. Install a strong wifi router at the main house.
    3. Install an extender wifi access point at GF.

Is that what you are doing? I think it would be a great solution.

8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I didn’t realise your GF was so new. ADSL or ADSL2 is available through a telephone landline. If you have one, great- but otherwise they probably won’t install one.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If the area has been provisioned for NBN, then you will not be able to connect to ADSL (unless it's HFC and NBN is on hold).

Why would you entertain the idea of putting in (paying for and maintaining) wireless ie paying for the tenant's internet and phones?

Get an electrician run a conduit & draw wire for a new service from the pit to the GF.

10. joe2030

It sounds I need to consult NBNco to see if I can install a new cabling to GF.
    The reason I am looking for the Internet service for GF is that I told NBN-ready when the current GF tenant moved in and also it will be a good feature for finding a tenant.

11. jyeung80

jyeung80 Well-Known Member

Do you know what type of NBN you're getting in your area? E.g. FTTP/fibre, HFC, FTTB/N, wireless, satellite, etc.

I think most providers are going to struggle to provide a separate internet service to a granny flat. I'm assuming it doesn't have a separate address?

12. jyeung80

You can't do this anymore. NBN own all of the infrastructure so they have to do the lead-in.

13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A Cat 5 between the main house router and a router in the GF in conduit. Or just go wifi (slower) . BUT they wont have phone !!. And if they did they would share your phone service grrr - many NBN providers do allow multiple service numbers on one account - May work ?? .
    Or buy them a wifi dongle device and they can subscribe to a ISP only service that is theirs alone.

Otherwise its a multiple dwelling registration and extra issues and cost. Another stupidity in the NBN...It assumes ONE install per dwelling. No tolerance for variation.

Buildings & apartment blocks | nbn - Australia's new broadband access network

Affects heaps - people with home + office, GFs, townhouses and even dual occs.

Last edited: 16th Feb, 2018
  14. jyeung80

Do this.

Given the max. NBN download speeds are 100Mbps, you should be able to get away with wireless, depending on distance, number & thickness of walls, interference, etc. Most routers these days support wireless AC which is theoretically faster than wireless N, but doesn't penetrate walls as well or go as far.

If they need a fixed phone, you could try to convince them to subscribe to a VOIP service that just needs an internet connection. Otherwise, good luck...

15. neK

neK Well-Known Member

But that would mean the owner would be fronting up for the internet. Not totally a bad thing, but if it stuffs up it becomes the owners responsibility

16. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

NBN aren't very helpful but I'm sure you can have them install a new service at a cost.

Otherwise.... all of the above is valid for sharing a connection...

However, if you are fortunate enough to be on FTTP (fibre) - you have multiple ports that can be individually signed up to ISPs. Who knows whether this can be in different names but presumably so. You would need to provide cabling from the nbn equipment to the granny flat where the tenant has their own ISP router.

17. jyeung80

You can have multiple services at the 1 address regardless of the access type and you can have each service under a different name if you want. Fibre and fixed wireless NTD's both have 4 ports, HFC only has 1 port so you'd need to get a 2nd NTD installed with a splitter. All of these will still require you to run an Ethernet cable to the granny flat or go wireless, it just keeps the accounts separate. With the copper based access types (FTTN/B/C), it's a bit trickier and more costly but probably cleaner. You could get NBN to run a 2nd copper pair into your granny flat.

18. NedKelly

NedKelly Well-Known Member

19. joe2030

I found that the front house connected NBN iinet. It seems it is connected by HFC. Is it used by the Pay TV cable?

20. joe2030

So... if i ask NBNco, will they install the cabling to extend for us?