Have you ever been a tenant?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Gockie, 14th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Have you ever been a tenant?

1. Yes as a tenant and yes as a landlord

2. Yes as a tenant and no as a landlord

3. No as a tenant and yes as a landlord

4. No as a tenant and no as a landlord

5. Never moved out of parents place

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Just starting a poll... I was reading the tenants from Heaven thread and thought about this question. I think the majority of us landlords have been a tenant at some stage of our lives so can understand both sides of the coin....

Please choose whichever single answer fits your experience best (yes... option 4 and 5 are similar but are slightly different)

Beanie Girl and Xenia like this.
  2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I've voted 1 - tenant and landlord, it's great to have an experience from both sides, especially for someone like me who manages tenants and landlords.

I would have loved to have voted for the last one - never moved out of parent's home - that was an easy stage of my life. What was I thinking to grow up and become independent lol

Johnny Cashflow and Beanie Girl like this.
  3. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Yeah I been a tenant but never had my name on no paperwork.

4. 158

158 Well-Known Member

I've never been a tenant. Haven't lived at home since I was 12. Went from boarding school to buying my own place and never looked back.

Did a 5 week stint at my in-laws between houses once. Made sure as hell I was working 16hr days, 7 days a week!

pinkboy

inertia and No Probs like this.
  5. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

ive been a tenant for 10 out of the 11.5 years ive lived out of home, including atm. only 1 was rented on the open market though and even that was through an agent i knew and had done business with. all the others have been through friends, friends of friends, or family with clear rules established at the start.

being an OO is counter productive when trying to build wealth quickly in this country, it is a pretty average return on capital and as someone who lives alone it is easy enough to rent, i dont see myself buying my own place for prob 5 years or so.

6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

We rented for years, Hubby had employer provided housing so would be silly not too. Sometimes I miss those no-maintenance days....but at the same time it's nice to create a home, renting always feels a little temporary and I really didn't like the 19 year olds inspecting my home every three months. Owner occupied wins for me these days.

Xenia likes this.
  7. MRTLR1000

MRTLR1000 Active Member

this may be very different, but we own Ip and currently rent

8. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Not so different I don't think - we bought all our IP's while renting :)

JohnPropChat likes this.
  9. norwoodman

norwoodman Well-Known Member

Still am both a tenant and a landlord (but not my own landlord).

10. joel

joel Well-Known Member

I've rented 7 different places and have not once had a PM that was looking out for the landlord's best interests. They either throw money at everything or don't communicate anything. As a tenant though, I prefer the former

Beanie Girl likes this.
  11. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I have done a mix of tenant and owner occupier... my recent move to Adelaide (yesterday actually) has meant I am back in the renting category again, though my PPOR in sydney is rented to friends and I can go back and stay there whenever I want, so still has some benefits :)

12. twistedstats

twistedstats Well-Known Member

Was a tenant while switching PPOR. I think landlords make good tenants.

13. Gockie

Yeah agree... I had an Indian guy as a tenant who was a landlord in India but was here in Australia for work. Great guy!

But.... Airbnb hosts as Airbnb guests can either be great or bad! On the good side, they can be helpful and appreciative of good hospitality. On the down side, they may end up comparing your property to theirs and mark you down on anything they think is lacking! Yep... I must say I've stayed at places I thought were lacking! But I've stayed at great places too, worth every cent and more. And when that happens I say to them in the private feedback they should raise their rates :)
    I do give honest feedback. (I tend to not make the negatives public though... unless really, really well and truly deserved)

wylie likes this.
  14. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Yes, renting way long before we became landlord. We are good tenant even then! Become even better when we became landlord as we know what they care about ;)

Have had some horrible PM who I think will get the landlord into big trouble - just plain incompetent. And some good ones who are actually reasonable.

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Gockie
    I know this is cheeky, but what do you do with this information. now you can slap me...:)

16. Gockie

Going to do nothing with the info! But... up to you whether you share or not... I suppose you could randomly choose a wrong answer to throw us all off your scent though. :)

MTR likes this.
  17. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Always preferred renting where I live, more flexible, live in nicer places, only ever lived a few years in a place I owned. I think I will rent well past 50 yrs old. Still own investment properties though.

18. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I have never been OO. We are currently renting from my wife's family (who live next door - it is awesome). We've been here over 5 years and will probably moving into our rental if I can't convince my wifes' family to sell this house to us.

Before that 10+ years renting in sydney, generally under-maintained houses. Owners had no interest in maintaining the properties, which is possibly why we could afford the locations we were in :-/
    Cheers,
    Inertia

RM1827, wylie, 158 and 1 other person like this.
  19. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Agreed. Until a few months ago I rented a $1.3m apartment for 18 months that would've cost me at least $30k more to own per year, plus the opportunity cost of the capital and the hit to serviceability. At the moment tenants in perth are spoilt for choice, you can get an awesome 3x3x2 5 year old house with 2 living areas, 2 courtyards, great feel etc 2.5km from the city for low to mid 700s a week, the equivalent of buying a 600k or so vastly inferior property. No thanks.

RM1827, JohnPropChat and Beanie Girl like this.
  20. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Ive been a tenant for a total of 6 months.
    In that period, i fixed the dryer ($14 elastic band thingy)
    Removed all the old mouldy silicon from the shower and reapplied it
    Changed the shower head to a handheld one.... all at my own expense.

I also took a bucket load of photos at the pre-inspection, printed them off, made the agent sign each page.... in the end i still got pinged for steam cleaning the carpet (not that there was anything dirty, but its what the agent wanted. For $100 i couldnt be bothered arguing).