Have you bought on ebay. seller saying they will refund me but no actually refunding me . why?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by justine77, 19th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

i received a message from a seller saying their logistics people lost some parcels including mine and they will refund me but not to open a case or post bad feedback. that was 2 days ago.
    its 2 days later and still no refund and now they are saying when i ask to wait another 2 days.
    i dont know if this will keep being delayed or if they will refund me and if i shoauld be opening up a case which doesnt give them bad feedback but assures my refund.
    they say their systems are not equiped to send me out the order again that i'd have to be refunded and then buy from someone else or buy from them again.
    does that sound right? usually if you havent received an item they can send it out again. Maybe they are simply out of stock and dont want to say that
    i've bought many things on ebay for many years and havent had this experience before.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

What is their feedback like ?

if over 100 feedbacks at > 95 suggest youlet due process complete

ta
    rolf

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

When a case is opened eBay gives the seller time to resolve the issue - I think one week.

Perhaps wait two days and then open a case. Don't inconvenience yourself too much for a seller just because they ask, especially if you haven't dealt with them before. You don't owe them a favour.

I have in the past queried an item which hadn't arrived, and then had it arrive two days later.

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Just make sure you open a case before the time limit expires.

Archaon, Perthguy and Stoffo like this.
  5. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

As per @Marg4000 LODGE THE ISSUE

I was told that due to a stock misscount they didn't have my item to post, so there would be a delay !
    So I waited, followed up, waited

I didn't know there was a time limit

I lodged the issue with Ebay only to be told I was too late, so nobody cared
    I did my dough and by this stage couldn't even leave negative feedback
    I rarely buy off Ebay now

Marg4000 and Lizzie like this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Definitely open a case. Now.

Lizzie likes this.
  7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

When someone you've never met says "trust me" would you trust them?

Lizzie likes this.
  8. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    It's really no big deal.
    Give them a day or 2 and inform them you'll open a case if refund is not received by then.
    Once the case is opened, the eBay system will ensure you get your refund.
    Either way the seller cannot get away with it as you have not received your item as would be demonstrated by the tracking number for lack thereof.

Of course as mentioned earlier don't leave it off for too long otherwise you won't be able to open a case - but we're talking weeks here.

The best course of action is to inform them of what you will do, give them an opportunity to rectify the issue and if not acted upon, open a case to ensure you get your funds back.

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Having all sorts off issues with 2 of my orders at the moment - suspect they are stuck at port in China.

The Y-man

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Suspect there's a lot of that happening.

A friend imports a product from Europe via boat, and having difficulty getting shipments to come this way due to the shipping companies bypassing China - and hence no "back" load - so they don't want to do the "front" load

11. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

Similar thing happened to me on Amazon Market Place. The seller asked me not to contact Amazon and instead go through them. I ignored the seller and went through Amazon and promptly got my money back. The product was not only broken, but the colour shown in the pic and in real life was substantially different. The seller was going to push for a replacement and I wanted money back. Amazon provides a money back service if the product is faulty. It was, so that is what I did with zero hassles apart from ignoring the seller's 2 follow up emails. OP, don't worry about the seller. Follow the Ebay rules over seller rules.

Marg4000 likes this.
  12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

all the time, especially from those from china

they seem to have no problems outright lying

here is what happens to me in the past often

Seller: we are sorry we sent you the wrong item, please keep the item and we will refund 100%
    Me: sure, when will the refund come,
    Seller: within 5 days
    2 weeks elapses
    Me: where is my refund
    Seller: would you be happy with 30% refund?
    me: no
    Seller, would you be happy with a 30% discount off your next purchase from us?
    Seller: how about 20% refund?
    Seller: SILENCE

my advice: do not close paypal disputes, do not withdraw neg feedback, do not leave positive feedback,
    keep the above 3 as leverage, until they do the right thing

Last edited: 19th Feb, 2020
    wylie and Archaon like this.
  13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Just open a case & let Ebay deal with it.

Archaon, Perthguy and wylie like this.
  14. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

thanks yes i did.

A totally different experience i once had where i regretted opening a case because i didnt know that i had 6 months to open a case and once the case is opened then there is a time pressure where a decision will be made without allowing time needed to resolve it properly with the seller. Also the communication between seller and myself changed with the pressure of a case open. I felt in that situation that the seller was communicating promptly and was chasing up the issue, though there were a few extremely frustrating and worrying false starts over several weeks. I had bought a second hand iphone for a relative overseas, and that relative didn’t even know how to use an iphone and they had alot going on in their lives so they couldnt even go to a shop to get help to check that the phone was unlocked and working properly. Lesson leant never buy a phone for someone overseas. If i'd known i had 6 months to open a case i'd have waited and tried longer to resolve it with the seller. I panicked because it was meant to be unlocked and it wasnt and till it was finally taken to a store and looked at was weeks later and it was still locked and again we were promised that it had now been unlocked but again several weeks past till my relative could take it to a shop to check and it was still locked so I panicked as even a second hand old iphone is expensive and I opened a case.

I had very unhelpful foreign pay pal customer service people who couldn’t speak or write English properly who advised me badly and that made it all worse. I was lucky that I kept calling pay pal and I got onto 2 really good customer service people who spoke English properly and knew the rules and were much more helpful. They helped me to delay the case 10 days at a time a few times, until I finally travelled and could see the phone myself. I also managed in that time to get another relative to look at it but i still wasn’t sure what was going on as that person didn’t give me details of how much they had tested to see that it was properly unlocked and that everything was working properly.

That situation was complicated because I wasn’t in control as I had bought it for someone overseas, and it was a costly item, and the seller also wasn’t in control as it was her daughters phone so she had to keep chasing it up with her daughter and we were believing her daughter. each time . We both had 3rd party people involved. The time difference didn’t help either.

Last edited: 24th Feb, 2020
  15. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

This sounds really complicated in numerous ways.

This story makes you sound like a generous person, but perhaps it would be more prudent in future to suggest to your over seas relative to go to the post office and buy a cheapo phone themselves, so as to avoid any transactional issues that turn out to be a massive PITA for you, but, somewhat surprisingly, not them.

And, for this advice, they should send you a nice bottle of red, for your sage advice.

wylie and The Y-man like this.