Have you been asked for a rent reduction?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by ozwanderlust, 23rd Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ummm

Ummm Well-Known Member

United Kingdom (temp)- previously Brisbane QLD
    I didn't see that in the title or OP

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I don't see any such popular belief here. I think your circumstances are such that you are within your right to ask for a reduction, because on a periodic lease, your landlord knows full well you can leave them with an empty house, and if they say "goodbye" and then find themselves having to reduce the rent to market, that is on them. But most on here I would suspect have a pretty good grasp of this and would hear you out.

I certainly would prefer to lower rent for a periodic tenancy than have a vacant house in a situation where I'm having to lower the rent anyway.

HUGH72 and TMNT like this.
  3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I actually agree with most of what you say, if its periodic

When it's periodic, normal supply demand rules apply
    Exactly, whenever I'm looking to renegotiate end of lease rent, I automatically assume absolute minimum 3 weeks rent loss including leasing fees if they were to leave

The Gambler and HUGH72 like this.
  4. Ummm

Ummm Well-Known Member

Reasons for justification of entitlement of rent reduction? You mean like prices are lower now than what they were? Here is a problem for your 9 yr old...put two identical lollies on the table. Tell them one costs 80c and the other costs $1, then ask which one they want to buy. If they choose the one that is $1 this should probably make you scratch your head and do some additional training...
    As for the cost of moving, its actually not that expensive if you don't have an entire family (or a lot of stuff), and are just moving a short distance. I usually only have the removalists here for maybe an hour or a little over (depending on their efficiency) if I already have the small stuff packed in boxes. Then an hour at the other end, maybe up to a day to unpack (if I'm slow). Easily do it over the weekend...

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

You did not clarify that you were on a month to month.
    It does.

The Gambler, KateSydney and TMNT like this.
  6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Until we open up our borders (to migrants and tourists), the rental market will be a bloodbath. C19 has put of what was a looming shortage.

MTR likes this.
  7. Ummm

Ummm Well-Known Member

It does....that is why I am surprised that people renew leases. I've been renting for over 20yrs in multiple different properties and locations and not once have I renewed a lease, and not once have I ever been kicked out because the owner wants to sell etc. I would assume people (especially with families/kids in particular) need certainty

8. wylie

What we try to avoid is having a tenant give notice on 12th December that they are moving out in two weeks. That can happen if you let a lease run into periodic. And also some insurers will not come to the party without a start and end date, but not all do this.

9. wylie

Also, if we want to do something that involves tradesman, floor sander for example, you have to book it in. So if a tenant can give two weeks' notice they are leaving, it is unlikely you can get a floor sander in time. They usually are booked out for weeks. Same with painters, builders, or if you want to refresh a bathroom. You need time to plan and two weeks won't cut it.

10. James Bond

James Bond Well-Known Member

Yep both my insurance companies will only cover if there is a 12 month lease in place. So I don't permit tenants to go on to month-by-month.

11. Buynow

Buynow Well-Known Member

How much reduction did you agree - am about to ask my landlord? On a continuing lease as well

12. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

I am Tennant who just had a fixed term lease (via an agency) expire on an ordinary 2x1 central Sydney unit.

I requested and was offered a renewal but without the rent being reassessed. I sent through my own appraisal based on several recently let units in the neighbouring area which represented a near 20% rent reduction. I was instead offered a 4% reduction to re sign another year.

The agent acknowledged the flood of new listings but reasoned that prices were not actually changing at all (seriously).

I signed for another unit a couple of streets over and hand the keys back next month.

Moral of the story is research and present comparible properties if you are after a reduction, and recognize that as a tenant on a periodic lease you are currently in a strong position.

Also take note of any rentals listed as 'available now' and offer something below the asking price. If it's already vacant there is a good chance they have been unable to let it since the last tennants gave thier notice.

ALT likes this.
  13. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

@MB18 is the rent 20% lower? Are you moving yourself? I’m thinking if you got removalists it wouldn’t be worth it to save a few dollars

housechopper2 likes this.
  14. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

I am moving to a much larger and newer place which is about 5% less than I pay now.
    I took the opportunity to upgrade rather than save money.

The actual price I was paying didnt concern me, but when comparable properties are being let for so much less I wasnt against moving for a better value proposition.

I can mostly move myself, except a couple of hours use of a small box truck needed for larger items. Admittedly families would have a more difficult time.

15. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

We recently moved houses after selling and moving into a new poor. Huge hassle and a lot of work, admittedly more in our case as we were preparing a house for sale. Redirecting mail, arranging electricity, insurance etc etc.

I wouldn't like to move again any time soon, really time consuming. If I was renting I don't think I would move houses for less than a $100 per week benefit at least. Even then after removal costs I would think twice but that might depend on individual circumstances.

housechopper2 and Hetty like this.
  16. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

I think that might have been the agents assumption and it is understandable.
    I rent for the flexibility it awards me so moving is not a great hassle, and in this case the difference would have been more than $100pw anyway

17. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

50% rent reduction. Lost job with no proof, no proof of any application for GVt grants, single with Dad living with him on pension. All the others (not many) still paying.

18. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

So far so good.
    But Assuming I'll have to reduce rent when leases are up due to general economic conditions.

wylie likes this.
  19. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

....and if having multiple IPs portfolio.
    The cashflow certainty helps... like in running a business, cashflow, liquidity and timing are important factors at play!

20. wylie

What did you do?