Have cash, but would you take a loan for renovations?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by MaryOhMe, 6th Mar, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MaryOhMe

MaryOhMe New Member

Hi all,

I'm just wondering the best way to finance my renovations.

I have had some quotes from builders are all it falls around 150k in renovations. Plus a few extra thousand for furnishings. This is a PPOR.

Combined with my partner, we do have the cash to fully fund the renovations, however would that be the best way to go about it?

I was thinking of taking out a construction loan purely as a way not to destroy my cashflow. Or am I just overthinking it?

Cheers

2. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

Taking out equity for renovations is normal, some lenders will give you the cash on hand while some will do it as a construction loan.

MaryOhMe likes this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

For risk management and surviveability, the best practice approach usually is to hold your cash back for challenge or opportunity.

Borrow when you least need it, though lending laws introduced post Royal Commission have made this an "unethical" thing for a lender or broker to do.

Yet, for client best interest duty, which is later legislation, where it can be clearly demonstrated that its in the borrowers best interest ( ie risk management) the 2 rules clash

ta
    rolf

MaryOhMe likes this.