Have become not liking phone calls?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TMNT, 16th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

[​IMG]

Why [software] developers hate being interrupted

2. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

That's like me. I have one or two friends that text every now and again to check in and say hi. I think why wouldn't you just ring since we haven't spoken for a while and there'd be lots to catch up on? Makes it seem like they just want a brief text response so I can't bothered to oblige. Everything else txt is fine, or email especially work or business.

JacM likes this.
  3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

The best way to reach me is on the phone. I get over 200 emails a day, it's very easy to overlook one or for it to get lost in the clutter. Some days I do nothing by try to reply to emails during business hours. It's late at night that a lot of the important work actually gets done.

If you ring, you've got my attention and my focus in that moment.

I hate text messages, they're so impersonal. If you've got my mobile number, I'd much rather you called so we can have a meaningful conversation. If I'm not available, then send a text.

I also hate the idea of being available 24/7, I like to disconnect from the rest of the world. I recently changed my personal number, I only gave out the new number to a few people.

Joynz and JacM like this.
  4. neK

neK Well-Known Member

If my phone rings and I can pick up, ill pick it up.
    If i can't it goes the voicemail and they can either leave a voicemail or let it go to text.

Joynz likes this.
  5. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I feel its the way how society is going , like handwriting, mine is going from bad to terrible,

whenever I see an incoming call from a freind except a close close freind, Isimplythink "oh no I cant be bothered"

society is becoming so informal and rude

6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I told my 13 year old daughter she can email her friends, and she almost exploded. :D I use email for everything, am not on the phone very much at all unless I need a quick answer.

7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Yep that's me. And sometimes I will work back late because it's better to finish a chunk of work on one day than to try to pick it up again the next day, I'll make much more progress staying back an hour rather than if i was to leave it overnight and try to figure out where I was up to the next day and get back into my train of thought.

Last edited: 16th Jan, 2017
    EN710 likes this.
  8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I dont ike emailing my parents when they live close by, unless im fwding something to them

it makes me sad when they sometimes email me for a chat

9. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Ex IT. I don't like phone calls much. I can handle text, email, face to face but I am not good a phone. Phone would be a last resort for me.

10. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I text the wife, especially on important matters like:

"What's for dinner?"
    She normally texts me a reply.

neK likes this.
  11. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Talk where ever possible.

Just yesterday I had to haul two of my guys over the coals. It had taken 13emails to each other to discusss and resolve a small issue (via email), which would have been over in about 4minutes if they had just talked. They work no more than 10m away from each other.

I dont have/use voice mail. If you call me and I dont answer, Ill see your call when Im available and call you back. All that most messages say is "please call me when you are available". Well, no sh** shirlok.

I recieve on average an email every 4mins and that is just to one account. I have 3 emails accounts. No, I dont read each one.

Dont get me wrong, I live off emails and txt. However, will have a conversation where ever possible. I train my team that I should not recieve an email from them which does not begin with the words "as discussed". Use email to confirm/document conversations.

Obviously operating internationally this isnt always possible.

Blacky

tobe, WattleIdo and Joynz like this.
  12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is just slack. My first preference for communication is face to face. Text is good is passing on information like model numbers, prices, addresses.

13. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Depends who calls; last thing you want is a call from someone who talks over you/constantly interrupts, doesn't let you get a word in, and you are left being a terrific listener and interrupt-ee. o_O

Far easier to let the call go to voice, then call back if it's a nice experience conversation from previous experience, and simply text the above socially inept dude/s. ;)

Generally; more people are texting these days. :(

14. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

admittedly, most of hte calls I ignore, are even good friends whom I dont mind talkign too,
    but they usally call at the end of the day when im at home watching tv, and I really cant be bothered talking, just want to wind down , especially if I mwatching tv

Bayview likes this.
  15. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Some days I just want to throw my phone off a bridge. It rings so much and annoys me so I prefer texts.

WattleIdo likes this.
  16. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Same, much prefer a conversation and no voice mail - waste of time and money.
    Really dislike emails - they're over-used and nearly always come across the wrong way. All my charm is lost and I certainly don't pick up anyone else's. Email is good for business when you already know what's in it or short messages like an invite to a bbq that you know is coming.
    I really don't like getting emails with surprises such as a change of work conditions or my sister's art group putting up the cost of attendance.
    To me it comes across as cowardly. Especially when I ask them to call but they keep sending emails.
    Texting I don't mind because it seems more personal to me and I can always just ring back instead of text back if need be.
    I get annoyed when the phone rings but I soon snap out of it.

17. neK

neK Well-Known Member

"Nothing"

:p

kierank likes this.
  18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I will usually message my wife when she's at work as I know that she is most likely not able to take a call, and that she will message me back whenever she is able.

Email is no good, because her work rostering system floods her email, asking for shifts to be filled.

19. lost nomad

lost nomad Well-Known Member

For both business & (rare) personal phonecalls I'll start my conversation with "have you got a moment/ have I got you at a good time"

I make the effort to call people on their birthday, even if I'm o/s at the time. I've often been told that I'm the only one & everything else is via text, email, social media. Kinda sad I think.

Joynz likes this.
  20. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Obviously this technology and Interweb thing is a big white elephant.

Go short on Google and Apple.