Have become not liking phone calls?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TMNT, 16th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

ANyone else in the same boat?

Over the years ive become disliking phone calls from friends, unless its a "open the door im outside" type of call,

I am happy to make/receive business calls wihtout a problem,

but if a friend close or not so close just calls (thats not urgent), I let it go to voicemail and text them back

anyone else understand what im going through????

(and no I dont owe friends any money or are they chasing me for something)

2. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Yes I have same issue, but I hate all phone calls except hubby, Mum and sister. Especially hate work ones, prefer email and texting any day

3. Terrychris

Terrychris Well-Known Member

I turn my work mobile off when im not working , thats the best way .
    They can call me on my personal number but it goes to voice.

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

There was this one time when I was riding my bike to get somewhere (it might have been so I could go to work) and I hear my mobile phone ringing. I purposely stop the bike, and answer the phone. It's my volleyball teammate asking for my account details so she could pay her portion of comp fee. A. She should already have my account details and b. Why couldn't she just text or Facebook me so I could answer at a more suitable time? It was not urgent and I was annoyed I had to stop my lovely ride (In a flat section with lots of momentum) to take a call like that. Still, I guess it could have been worse if she stopped me halfway up a hill or down a hill... I guess there's no good time to stop a pushbike rider!

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I prefer phone calls. Both at work and in my personal life.

Texts are so distancing and 'removed'.

It worries me that people may be starting to treat human contact as an unwelcome intrusion.

S.T, Peter_Tersteeg, JacM and 2 others like this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

At work I usually lync someone first and if its something better discussed over a call I will ask them via the lync if it's a good time to call.

People can decide to answer the lync message when they are ready. I hate being interrupted when I'm halfway through doing something, it's really bad for me to lose my concentration or focus on a task.

7. tc8

tc8 Well-Known Member

i prefer email, text and whatsapp. people's thoughts are corrected, improved and reconsidered. i have lots of friends and coworkers who would ring up for no reasons.

8. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Only use whatsapp, disconnected the fixed line. Maybe have 5-10 phone calls a month on mobile, which are usually very short. For longer international calls I use skype. Text messaging also gone.

9. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I prefer email or txt - then I can deal with it when I've got time, and it's usually to the point. I hate getting caught on a call for ages - and even worse - when hubby rings without thinking thru what he needs to let me know, so I get 10 minutes of ums and ahs

Colin Rice likes this.
  10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

My phone stays on buzz or silent. If it's important, there's voicemail or if I'm expecting a call I will answer.

I detest txt as I cnt make out all the msg or abbrev. ;)

@Gockie - you never interrupt a bike ride to answer your phone. It can wait.

Joynz and Gockie like this.
  11. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I find email to be way more efficient - in both business and personal life.

Cheers

Jamie

Colin Rice and Jess Peletier like this.
  12. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I use whatsapp, text and email on most communications. They're usually less intrusive as people can reply when they're ready.

Phone call only for something more complicated, need multiple back and forward or urgent.

With friends and family I like Skype and facetime. I prefer to be able to see people on the other side when talking to them.

13. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

For business, I prefer emails as I have an audit trail. If I get a business phone call (say from a PM), I will send a quick email confirming the phone conversation.

For family and friends, I prefer phone calls (unless I want to communicate the same message to a group of them, then I will email) as it is instantly interactive. I would have at least one two-hour phone call each week with a sibling or a close friend. I will text family and friends if the message is short and I don't need to be instantly interactive.

With my ex-wives, no comms is best :).

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I wonder if a lot of the people who prefer not to use a phone call to communicate are employed in IT or related fields?

I use email a lot too, of course. However, I find that calling people - or even popping past gets great results.

Develops the relationship, puts a face to a name and makes it less likely that people will miss their deadlines for work I have asked for.

I also like the transparency of the phone. I have some colleagues who often text friends and family during work time.

They would never spend that much time on the phone on a personal call as it would be too obvious.

Last edited: 16th Jan, 2017
    Blacky likes this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

In the main I have my phone with me at all times, does not mean I have to answer it, just depends what I am doing. I detest phone calls in ME time, but I always return calls, what I detest even more is people who don't return calls.

I also use whatshapp, text, but I much prefer to speak to people, especially when it comes to my projects, business, its just much more personal and best way to conduct business IMO.

When I am on the phone with my daughter in Melb, well we could be talking for 2 hours and that is just on her latest boyfriend...

MTR:)

Last edited: 16th Jan, 2017
    JacM likes this.
  16. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Hey, I am in IT.

Well, it was called EDP when I started work and IT when I retired.

17. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Yes.
    I have to have the most gentle ring and am sure I have a form of PTSD after many years of being woken up at night on call (phone rings late at night usually major trauma or disaster).

18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I use various means of communication.

What I don't like is long text conversations which could have been resolved with a quick call.

Nor do I like lengthy conversations with professionals going into great detail with no follow up email. I can't remember the whole conversation (it's not very often I'm in a position to take notes) and I have nothing on record.

And while I love to talk with my daughters, I really wish that when they travel overseas that they use their phone to check the time in Australia when they call or message. I don't turn off the audible alarm at night just in case it really is urgent.

wylie and MTR like this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

LOL, patience...
    I get this all the time due to business over East and US, bloody Perth we are 3 hours behind EST

geoffw likes this.
  20. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

I think it is nice when a friend feels like talking to someone in particular and takes the time to ring. I wouldn't want to craft a life with little proper contact with other humans.

wylie, MTR and Joynz like this.