Education & Work Have a job and yet living in poverty

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by larrylarry, 23rd Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Working but still doing it tough: The reality of modern poverty

Modern day poverty? I read some of the posts made by readers. Blames put on government, immigration etc. I do feel for some of the low income workers who are struggling to make ends meet. But what’s wrong with free to air TV? Why get Netflix? Assuming costs of living being constant, the only way is to improve income by doing something. Netflix isn’t going to solve the problem. Few hours a night for a couple of years can get you qualified for a career.

I think from reading the posts, many have already resigned to the fact that unless government puts money in their bank accounts regularly they will not survive.

Mindset issue? Or is it true that the poor can never have reasonable standards of living in Australia?

2. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Correct... Countries such as Australia offer ( by govt) more opportunities to advance and unskill than the vast vast majority of other countries ( including other oecd I'd say)..majoruty if not all being .taxpayer funded...

ellejay and larrylarry like this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

For the vaaaast majority of people living in Australia, the opportunities and access to opportunities is more than enough to build a decent life.

I will never accept that the average person in Australia (which is most ppl) can't build a decent life here if they really wanted to. Too much BS and reliance on government and far too little personal accountability.

Last edited: 23rd Nov, 2017
    JDP1, Observer, KayTea and 21 others like this.
  4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

This 100%!

And as for Netflix, Foxtell & the like is concerned. We, only have free to air TV. Oh, woe is me....what have I done wrong. Where is my Government handout?

Lizzie, Eric Wu, ellejay and 5 others like this.
  5. Lions4Eva

Lions4Eva Well-Known Member

'Poverty' in Australia is infinitely better than living in some poor community in the third world. Even if the average Australian earns a million dollars a year, we will still have poverty by our own definition. The difference is people won't be starving in the streets or sending their kids off to work for some coin.

6. Lions4Eva

It's always helpful to have the sob stories to play around with the emotions so you are more inclined to support government policies to give others free stuff, by taking away resources from another party. I don't believe many of these exaggerated scenarios made up by random comments on Facebook as either there is a hidden agenda, or they are simply poor with life choices.

Reminds me of a friend who was whinging about the cost of living in Australia, while dining at a cafe everyday with their partner on a part time income...Yeah good luck buddy.

7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I really don't even know how people have time for the hundreds and hundreds of channels that are available now... If I get to watch 1-2 hours of tele a week that's a lot already...

skater likes this.
  8. larrylarry

spot on. some of the posters expect luxuries to be part of normal standards of living and life has to be enjoyed. I get the sense that they feel entitled. I feel a bit sad when reading those posts. (I actually read those posts via Facebook I believe. The link above is the actual SBS page)

Lions4Eva likes this.
  9. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

You're right but there will always be some people who genuinely fall between the cracks.

Single parents, sick people, some immigrants, pensioners who don't own their own home. People who got boned by spruikers, People with genuine disabilities ...

Not to say that these people can't change their situations. ...they can. That's the beauty of a country like ours but for some its going to be genuinely hard.

They're not all bludgers.

LibGS, Eric Wu, Francesco and 3 others like this.
  10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree. That's why I think its important we have the safety net for people who genuinely need help. Australia is fantastic that way.

Observer, Toon, radson and 3 others like this.
  11. Lions4Eva

How many of these idiots blow their budget on a brand new luxury Sedan at $30,000? How many are committed to budgeting every week and limiting their take outs once or twice a week at the very max? I hate anecdotal talk, however its really amusing to see the people whinging about being unable to afford the good stuff, while planning for holiday trips or borrowing through the roof with their credit card/car finance. As for the people who rent, do they honestly feel they must move closer to the CBD and inner ring suburbs, or are they willing to save a couple hundred dollars to stay with their parents until they build up a nice deposit?

I still drive a crappy Hyundai Excel 98 that I bought as my first car, and will continue to use it after until I am content with my IP situation.

12. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

You can’t rely on a job, need multiple streams of income

13. larrylarry

I think some will need to go from first base to the next... like upskilling for better income. Investments aren't for everyone. Of course, second job is hard work.

manga likes this.
  14. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

Nice to see people with money to invest bash out people who doing it tough and give yourself a pat on the back

Need to have some humidity, some people fall through cracks, other has medical conditions or
    been abused or whatever else, there are a large section of the community doing it tough and sometimes it got nothing to do with not trying.

15. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

In recent years, Australia has become a pretty expensive country. Working conditions, job security and wages have not kept up with this change. I have no idea how people in low wage jobs living in one of our major cities do it to be perfectly honest

16. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Don't forget super was only introduced in 1992 under the Keating Government.

Also, don't forget some people may have been stay home parents who may have experienced a relationship breakdown.

Gockie likes this.
  17. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I completely agree that Sydney has become a very expensive city with increases in utlities, rates, costs of living and etc. If a person rents, the rent would have increased as well. Trimming the fat can only take you so far but that's when people need to go out of their comfort zone and make changes to 'better' their situation. Not an easy path but needs to be done.

18. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Not just Sydney - it's Melbourne and even Canberra too. I don't know much about Brisbane but that's probably at that level or close to it as well.

19. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

A while ago I read something about where people in Australia see the poverty line today compared with about 30 years ago (and in-between), ie people were asked the minimum services etc they required to feel they weren't living in poverty. Expectations had grown substantially, one that I remember is that it was acceptable to have to use a laundry mat, now you are below the poverty line if you don't have a washing machine at home. The general quality of living had increased for the same percentage of wages, even on minimum wage.

Interestingly it seemed that the perceived poverty line seemed to move in a way that kept a similar percentage of people below it. Will the bottom percentage (or a number of) always see themselves as living in poverty as they compare themselves to others? Human nature?

Hopefully we can continue to both support those less fortunate while rewarding enterprise and hard work.

20. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Keating introduced COMPULSORY super. And universal employer contributions.

Public servants and government employees have had superannuation for a long time. My dad started with the Commonwealth government after WW2 and retired on his superannuation pension.

Superannuation has been available for decades, for those interested enough in their future to sign up voluntarily.
    Marg

sanj, ellejay and TAJ like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia