Has your cashflow taken a hit

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 23rd May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

That or cash reserves.

MTR and LoremIpsum like this.
  2. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Oh yes it does , Thats why i have been telling people to avoid banks and index funds heavy with banks. Some shares didnt fall, some rose, some fell 70% then rose over 100%. The Index is just a selection of some stocks in the market ( often ones slow to recover) and then averaged and means nothing ,and doesnt give an accurate description. if you had sold down overweight and overshot positions and bought up very underweight positions that had fallen 70%, and being able to buy shares in the present, at past discounted prices with SPP's makes very happy investors. Same as being given the tattslotto numbers. Pulled 150k out this week, and and my remaining holdings are still above previous peaks. Some shares have been able to be obtained at prices that will give great dividends. for example previously mentioned DDR that had risen 52% until this morning gained 4.4% to-day, my gain on discounted price was 7% making my gain 59% .

ellejay, Gypsyblood and HUGH72 like this.
  3. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Currently sitting just below 67 and steadily rising.

kierank likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

yes, I bring money home from US every month, about 2 years ago it was 74, its been trending south

To think when I was buying in US, our AUD was 1.09. However, we had the mining boom at this time

I expect it to continue to remain in 60s?, perhaps 55 dependent on how our economy goes

Last edited: 30th May, 2020
  5. SMTY

SMTY Well-Known Member

One of the lucky ones. Cash flow has improved, not that it was a concern as my LVR is low, have considerable cash in offsets if needed and my portfolio is positively geared. No tenants have missed a rent payment. US stocks bounced back to pre covid 19 levels - bought some on the dip, sold off now and partially repatriated(Went too early on the slide but 20% return in 2 months not bad). Work expenses down as WFH since late March, saved $$ on fuel, parking, food at work etc.

craigc, MTR and kierank like this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Nice.
    If LVR are low its not going to be a major issue and cash buffers in place

7. SMTY

SMTY Well-Known Member

Wasn't too worried financially going into this, more concerned with my father being 85 and staying healthy thru it. Looking at what to buy next. Parts of Perth are interesting but don't own there so need to up my research.

kierank likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Perth was actually just starting to recover prior to corona.

look at inner city its a strong market, in particular period homes and read posts on Perth, lots of good info here from locals

ellejay and SMTY like this.
  9. Flynn Investor

Flynn Investor Member

We have one IP in Canberra and currently no issues. Tenant has re-signed for another year. We are lucky in our canberra bubble and very aware of how tough it is for investors Aus wide. Going to watch the market for another property soon. Good luck and keep hanging in there everyone!

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thanks

I think Canberra has been a solid market

All good at my end. I just hope I can develop my property next year, fingers crossed

11. LoremIpsum

LoremIpsum Active Member

Really enjoyed the perspectives from other capital cities.

I’m in Darwin so the picture’s a bit different. Like Canberra, we’re in our own bubble too.

IP-wise, it’s been a dismal few years even before Covid with the down turn up here (Japanese mining company finished up with the construction phase of a major project.) Rental income took a 30% haircut, this was 2 years ago.

With Covid, border restrictions in the NT have meant that tenants have been staying put in Darwin, and renewing their leases, some negotiating a lower rent. There seems to be fewer properties coming onto the rental market. There’s been a fair share of job losses up here but I got lucky with current tenants in the IP who have secure jobs. Just signed a new 12 month lease with new tenants with a small rental increase out of pure dumb luck (tenants fell in love with the house and there were quite a few applications due to low rental stock). I’m cautiously optimistic that this is a sign Darwin rents have bottomed out for good and the worst is over. Along with the massive interest rate drop, cashflow will be looking a lot better in the next financial year for the IP.

Darwin55, MTR and HUGH72 like this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Rents in Perth also took a nose dive perhaps 25% drop but now we are seeing a tight rental market In Perth. People are not moving, PM saying inventory is low

13. Ryoka

Ryoka Well-Known Member

Im blessed to have 3 houses unaffected

MTR likes this.
  14. ww2_nut

ww2_nut Active Member

I am lucky in that our cashflow has increased during COVID. Free childcare has been great for us, but has meant the wife can only work Mon, Wed & Sat (booked daycare day's were only Mon & Wed and we would float a day ( wife is a nurse and rotating roster). I work in disability and could've worked more than full time contract if I was allowed.
    So no daycare costs and no ability to dine out has saved us heaps. IP's unaffected and doing well.
    I hope others are all holding well.

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thats good news

Seems many are doing well regardless, good th hear

16. Darwin55

Darwin55 Well-Known Member

I agree, I don’t think rent can drop any further here.

17. Gypsyblood

Gypsyblood Well-Known Member

No impacts so far. I put one ip for 10 aud less but not cz of Corona or I had to. Single mum with baby renting and wanted to drop it a bit.

ellejay likes this.
  18. sumterrence

sumterrence Well-Known Member

Cash flow actually improved significantly due to the lower bank rates with a few refinance/restructure of loans. Luckily my tenants are all paying and haven't ask for a reduction so far.

19. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Same here. We've locked five loans for two years and that means lower repayments. Once the government stimulus stops, if the economy heads downwards, we might find ourselves with less income, or unable to sell the property we hope to sell early next year for what we could have sold it for early this year. So I'm not counting our chickens. But so far, so good.

20. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Don't own any retail stores , restaurants,bars , nightclubs , airline associated premises , docks for cruise liners or airports :)

sumterrence and MTR like this.